Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Sunday March 30
into the light
One of the hardest things about getting ready in the morning is picking out my socks. Are they blue or black? Because I’m color-blind, those two colors look the same to me in the dim morning light! So what I typically do is take them out into the kitchen and compare them under some bright light bulbs, which helps me see their true colors.
Jesus once told a crowd of people at the Jewish temple that He was “the light of the world” (John 8:12). He went on to say, “If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”
Jesus’ “light” metaphor makes me think of another story He told. “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector” (Luke 18:10).
The Pharisee was a conceited moralist who proudly flaunted that he had his act together. His prayer was long-winded and self-congratulatory: “I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else. For I don’t cheat, I don’t sin, and I don’t commit adultery. I’m certainly not like that tax collector!” (v.11).
The tax collector was messed up—and knew it. His prayer was short, sorrowful, and desperate: “O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner” (v.13). Jesus concluded that the humble tax collector, not the proud Pharisee, walked away forgiven. “For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted” (v.14).
Jesus is indeed the true “light of the world.” But He doesn’t require us to clean up the messes in our lives before we walk into His life-giving light. Instead, He simply invites us to walk humbly into His light and begin a sacred, sanctified life in Him. —Jeff Olson
The tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, “O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner” (v.13).
Read John 8:1-12 and note what Jesus’ light and life meant to a desperate woman.
What are the messy parts of your life that you need to bring humbly into the light of Jesus? How does God’s light both comfort and convict you?
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more