Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
hope in death
In early 2012, James McConnell passed away at a nursing home in Southsea, Hampshire, in England. Mr. McConnell, a veteran of the UK’s Royal Marines, was 70 years old. Unfortunately, he had no family, and when the medical staff told Rev. Bob Mason that they feared no one would show up for the funeral, Mason sent the following note to the Royal Marines Association:
Ladies and Gentlemen, In this day and age it is tragic enough that anyone has to leave this world with no one to mourn their passing, but this man was family and I am sure you will agree [he] deserves a better send off. If you can make it to the graveside . . . to pay your respects to a former brother in arms, then please try to be there.
Mason was shocked when 200 people showed up for McConnell’s funeral.
While it’s true that no one should be buried without mourners to acknowledge the grief, the truth is that believers in Jesus have hope beyond physical death. “For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again,” said the apostle Paul, “we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died” (1 Thessalonians 4:14). To make certain that his point was perfectly clear, Paul made a second pass: “We tell you this directly from the Lord . . . the Christians who have died will rise from their graves” (vv.15-16).
Death, though it’s certainly something to grieve, is absolutely nothing to fear. We don’t have to live in terror of death or carry the burden of sorrow for those who have no hope. Jesus Christ has risen from the dead! His resurrection is the assurance of our own. Faith in His cross and resurrection provides us with hope in life and hope in death. —Winn Collier
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
We want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope (v.13).
Read 1 Thessalonians 4:1-12. What instructions does Paul give the church? What’s the connection between these life instructions and the teaching that followed?
What are your feelings about death? How does the fact of Jesus’ resurrection affect your feelings?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more