Generous HeartsHave you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?
Top Christian Music Videos
hope in death
In early 2012, James McConnell passed away at a nursing home in Southsea, Hampshire, in England. Mr. McConnell, a veteran of the UK’s Royal Marines, was 70 years old. Unfortunately, he had no family, and when the medical staff told Rev. Bob Mason that they feared no one would show up for the funeral, Mason sent the following note to the Royal Marines Association:
Ladies and Gentlemen, In this day and age it is tragic enough that anyone has to leave this world with no one to mourn their passing, but this man was family and I am sure you will agree [he] deserves a better send off. If you can make it to the graveside . . . to pay your respects to a former brother in arms, then please try to be there.
Mason was shocked when 200 people showed up for McConnell’s funeral.
While it’s true that no one should be buried without mourners to acknowledge the grief, the truth is that believers in Jesus have hope beyond physical death. “For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again,” said the apostle Paul, “we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died” (1 Thessalonians 4:14). To make certain that his point was perfectly clear, Paul made a second pass: “We tell you this directly from the Lord . . . the Christians who have died will rise from their graves” (vv.15-16).
Death, though it’s certainly something to grieve, is absolutely nothing to fear. We don’t have to live in terror of death or carry the burden of sorrow for those who have no hope. Jesus Christ has risen from the dead! His resurrection is the assurance of our own. Faith in His cross and resurrection provides us with hope in life and hope in death. —Winn Collier
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
We want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope (v.13).
Read 1 Thessalonians 4:1-12. What instructions does Paul give the church? What’s the connection between these life instructions and the teaching that followed?
What are your feelings about death? How does the fact of Jesus’ resurrection affect your feelings?
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more