Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
SATURDAY, MARCH 18
Hope Beyond Discouragement
I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels—a plentiful harvest of new lives (v.24).
Jordan is a third-generation farmer who is taking over his father’s apple orchards. Recently we were talking about all the agricultural metaphors in the Bible. “On the farm, I learn so many spiritual lessons,” he said. As we conversed further, we discussed John 12:24—in which Jesus talks about the harvest that results from a single seed being buried in the ground. The wisdom found in that verse was encouraging, because during that season of life I was feeling emotionally dead—like a seed buried in the ground.
“But so much happens while a seed is buried in the ground,” my friend told me. “We just can’t see it during the cold winter. We see it in the spring and summer.” His words lifted my spirits amid my discouragement due to seemingly unanswered prayer. As Proverbs 13:12 tells us, “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life.” Much like a seedling pushing up through soil, it was encouraging to consider that my hope was only deferred temporarily as God continued to do His work.
It was when Jesus made His way to Jerusalem to face His death that He talked about the harvest that can result from a single seed buried in the ground (John 12:12-35). He said, “Its death will produce many new kernels—a plentiful harvest of new lives” (v.24). Christ knew that He would soon die and be placed in a tomb. But He recognized that His death, much like a seed planted deep in the ground, would eventually bear a great harvest. Jesus didn’t stay in the tomb, but rose again to life! Because of what Christ has done, we have hope in Him—hope that lifts our spirits even when we’ve been buried by discouragement. —Marlena Graves
Read Romans 15:13 and consider the source of real hope.
What can help you trust in God even when experiencing suffering and discouragement? How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more