Generous HeartsHave you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?
Top Christian Music Videos
Tuesday October 1
guard these well
Japanese-born baseball player Ichiro Suzuki, having led professional leagues in Japan and the US in hitting, is arguably one of the best hitters to ever play the game. One could say he has a special bat—literally. The Mizuno sports equipment company custom-makes bats for Ichiro by hand. They use Tamo wood grown on the Japanese island of Hokkaido, and Ichiro cares for them like Stradivarius violins. He even uses a custom-made suitcase that’s shockproof and moisture-free to protect them.
When the Israelites were returning from captivity in Babylon, Ezra appointed priests and Levites to guard the treasures that had been entrusted to them for the rebuilding of the temple (Ezra 8:24-27). After the precious metals and items had been weighed and counted, the men endeavored to get them safely to Jerusalem. Ezra emphasized the guarding of the treasures because he knew their stewardship would be evaluated—they needed to make sure none of the treasures were lost (vv.28-29). The priests and Levites accepted this responsibility. And upon their arrival in Jerusalem, the items were counted again and everything was accounted for by number and weight. This was an example of faithful, responsible stewardship.
God has called each of us to carefully guard the treasures He has entrusted to us. We’re called to guard the gospel by sharing it gladly; to guard our time by spending it wisely; to guard our spiritual gifts by developing and using them faithfully; to guard our material possessions by investing them purposefully; and to guard God’s Word by reading, meditating, memorizing, and discussing it passionately. Let’s guard these treasures well to the glory of God. —Marvin Williams
Guard these treasures well until you present them to the leading priests, the Levites, and the leaders of Israel, who will weigh them at the storerooms of the Lord’s temple in Jerusalem (v.29).
Read Matthew 25:14- 30 to determine the primary thing required of someone who cares for the Master’s possessions.
What treasures has God entrusted to your care? Which ones do you need to be more faithful in guarding? How will you do it?
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more