Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
Tuesday October 1
guard these well
Japanese-born baseball player Ichiro Suzuki, having led professional leagues in Japan and the US in hitting, is arguably one of the best hitters to ever play the game. One could say he has a special bat—literally. The Mizuno sports equipment company custom-makes bats for Ichiro by hand. They use Tamo wood grown on the Japanese island of Hokkaido, and Ichiro cares for them like Stradivarius violins. He even uses a custom-made suitcase that’s shockproof and moisture-free to protect them.
When the Israelites were returning from captivity in Babylon, Ezra appointed priests and Levites to guard the treasures that had been entrusted to them for the rebuilding of the temple (Ezra 8:24-27). After the precious metals and items had been weighed and counted, the men endeavored to get them safely to Jerusalem. Ezra emphasized the guarding of the treasures because he knew their stewardship would be evaluated—they needed to make sure none of the treasures were lost (vv.28-29). The priests and Levites accepted this responsibility. And upon their arrival in Jerusalem, the items were counted again and everything was accounted for by number and weight. This was an example of faithful, responsible stewardship.
God has called each of us to carefully guard the treasures He has entrusted to us. We’re called to guard the gospel by sharing it gladly; to guard our time by spending it wisely; to guard our spiritual gifts by developing and using them faithfully; to guard our material possessions by investing them purposefully; and to guard God’s Word by reading, meditating, memorizing, and discussing it passionately. Let’s guard these treasures well to the glory of God. —Marvin Williams
Guard these treasures well until you present them to the leading priests, the Levites, and the leaders of Israel, who will weigh them at the storerooms of the Lord’s temple in Jerusalem (v.29).
Read Matthew 25:14- 30 to determine the primary thing required of someone who cares for the Master’s possessions.
What treasures has God entrusted to your care? Which ones do you need to be more faithful in guarding? How will you do it?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more