Tongues AfireWhen have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?
Top Music Videos
Tuesday October 1
guard these well
Japanese-born baseball player Ichiro Suzuki, having led professional leagues in Japan and the US in hitting, is arguably one of the best hitters to ever play the game. One could say he has a special bat—literally. The Mizuno sports equipment company custom-makes bats for Ichiro by hand. They use Tamo wood grown on the Japanese island of Hokkaido, and Ichiro cares for them like Stradivarius violins. He even uses a custom-made suitcase that’s shockproof and moisture-free to protect them.
When the Israelites were returning from captivity in Babylon, Ezra appointed priests and Levites to guard the treasures that had been entrusted to them for the rebuilding of the temple (Ezra 8:24-27). After the precious metals and items had been weighed and counted, the men endeavored to get them safely to Jerusalem. Ezra emphasized the guarding of the treasures because he knew their stewardship would be evaluated—they needed to make sure none of the treasures were lost (vv.28-29). The priests and Levites accepted this responsibility. And upon their arrival in Jerusalem, the items were counted again and everything was accounted for by number and weight. This was an example of faithful, responsible stewardship.
God has called each of us to carefully guard the treasures He has entrusted to us. We’re called to guard the gospel by sharing it gladly; to guard our time by spending it wisely; to guard our spiritual gifts by developing and using them faithfully; to guard our material possessions by investing them purposefully; and to guard God’s Word by reading, meditating, memorizing, and discussing it passionately. Let’s guard these treasures well to the glory of God. —Marvin Williams
Guard these treasures well until you present them to the leading priests, the Levites, and the leaders of Israel, who will weigh them at the storerooms of the Lord’s temple in Jerusalem (v.29).
Read Matthew 25:14- 30 to determine the primary thing required of someone who cares for the Master’s possessions.
What treasures has God entrusted to your care? Which ones do you need to be more faithful in guarding? How will you do it?
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more