The Gentle WayWhat does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?
Top Christian Music Videos
forgive the shark
Lucy Magnum was boogie boarding in the ocean when a shark sank its teeth into her leg. Her parents acted quickly to save her leg by applying pressure to it until paramedics arrived. Later, Lucy understandably said, “I hate sharks.” Her parents gently replied that the shark had simply acted instinctively. Lucy then responded with grace: “I don’t care that the shark bit me. I forgive him.”
Like Lucy, Joseph had been bitten—not by a shark, but by his brothers. Would he forgive them or seek revenge? Joseph’s brothers, thinking that he might retaliate for their evil offenses against him in the past (Genesis 37:18-28), pleaded for forgiveness (50:17). Joseph wept, and then reassured them that all that happened was part of God’s divine plan to save many people (vv.19-20, 45:5-9). He also recognized that he was not in the place of God to act as judge. Therefore, he had no interest in or right to enact revenge against his brothers. Though he didn’t say the actual words, Joseph demonstrated the fruit of forgiveness as he spoke kindly to his brothers and promised to provide for them.
Sometimes people will snap at us with their words and actions. But we’re not to judge them, rejoice over their fall or demise (Proverbs 24:17), or seek revenge (Romans 12:19). We’re commanded to pursue true forgiveness without limits as a principle of life (Luke 6:37, 17:3-4). A practical way to live out the principle of forgiveness is to meet the physical needs of those who hurt us (Proverbs 25:21-22). Recognizing how much God has forgiven us, He prepares us to forgive others and to give them good things. —Marvin Williams
"Don’t be afraid. I will continue to take care of you and your children.” So he reassured them by speaking kindly to them (v.21).
Read the account of Stephen in Acts 7:54-60 and see his example of a forgiving heart.
What wounds do you carry from an attack of bitter words or actions? What are some practical things you can do to respond like Joseph and Stephen when you’re “bit”?
- The Gentle Way - What does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?...read more
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more