Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
forgive the shark
Lucy Magnum was boogie boarding in the ocean when a shark sank its teeth into her leg. Her parents acted quickly to save her leg by applying pressure to it until paramedics arrived. Later, Lucy understandably said, “I hate sharks.” Her parents gently replied that the shark had simply acted instinctively. Lucy then responded with grace: “I don’t care that the shark bit me. I forgive him.”
Like Lucy, Joseph had been bitten—not by a shark, but by his brothers. Would he forgive them or seek revenge? Joseph’s brothers, thinking that he might retaliate for their evil offenses against him in the past (Genesis 37:18-28), pleaded for forgiveness (50:17). Joseph wept, and then reassured them that all that happened was part of God’s divine plan to save many people (vv.19-20, 45:5-9). He also recognized that he was not in the place of God to act as judge. Therefore, he had no interest in or right to enact revenge against his brothers. Though he didn’t say the actual words, Joseph demonstrated the fruit of forgiveness as he spoke kindly to his brothers and promised to provide for them.
Sometimes people will snap at us with their words and actions. But we’re not to judge them, rejoice over their fall or demise (Proverbs 24:17), or seek revenge (Romans 12:19). We’re commanded to pursue true forgiveness without limits as a principle of life (Luke 6:37, 17:3-4). A practical way to live out the principle of forgiveness is to meet the physical needs of those who hurt us (Proverbs 25:21-22). Recognizing how much God has forgiven us, He prepares us to forgive others and to give them good things. —Marvin Williams
"Don’t be afraid. I will continue to take care of you and your children.” So he reassured them by speaking kindly to them (v.21).
Read the account of Stephen in Acts 7:54-60 and see his example of a forgiving heart.
What wounds do you carry from an attack of bitter words or actions? What are some practical things you can do to respond like Joseph and Stephen when you’re “bit”?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more