Taking on Too MuchWhat are you trying to take on that only God can do
Top Music Videos
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 4
Famous in God’s Eyes
READ Mark 10:42-45 Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant (v.43).
The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis is one of my all-time favorite books. A fictional account about the narrator’s trip to hell and heaven, I love the imagery and the lessons we can glean about what is and what’s not truly important. At one point on his journey deeper and deeper into the heavenly landscape, the narrator notices a huge parade. Musicians, girls, boys, and all sorts of animals are parading in honor of a lady of great renown.
The narrator assumes that the lady must be someone who was very famous on earth. He racks his brain trying to figure out who she could be. He then asks his guide, “Is it . . . Is it?” The guide to the heavenly realms declares, “It’s someone [you] never have heard of. Her name on earth was Sarah Smith and she lived at Golders Green. . . . She is one of the great ones. [You] have heard that fame in this country and fame on Earth are two quite different things.”
Jesus said that the greatest in the kingdom of heaven are the servants of all (Mark 10:43-44). Servants aren’t normally in the limelight. Often they’re found quietly obeying all that their masters have called them to do. Jesus calls us to love and to serve all people, even our enemies: “I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!” (Matthew 5:44).
Serving others on a daily basis doesn’t make for fame in this world. Yet our obedience to God revealed through our faithful love and service to Him and to others—even in the little things—is what God notices and celebrates (Luke 16:10). We might not be famous in the world’s eyes, but as C. S. Lewis so beautifully illustrates, such a posture of love and service makes us “famous” in God’s eyes and reflects Jesus’ example (Mark 10:45). —Marlena Graves
Read Revelation 22:12 to see how God views the importance of the things you do.
How are you encouraged by what it means to be famous in God’s eyes? Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more