Everyone Has a StoryWho needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today.
Top Music Videos
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 4
Famous in God’s Eyes
READ Mark 10:42-45 Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant (v.43).
The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis is one of my all-time favorite books. A fictional account about the narrator’s trip to hell and heaven, I love the imagery and the lessons we can glean about what is and what’s not truly important. At one point on his journey deeper and deeper into the heavenly landscape, the narrator notices a huge parade. Musicians, girls, boys, and all sorts of animals are parading in honor of a lady of great renown.
The narrator assumes that the lady must be someone who was very famous on earth. He racks his brain trying to figure out who she could be. He then asks his guide, “Is it . . . Is it?” The guide to the heavenly realms declares, “It’s someone [you] never have heard of. Her name on earth was Sarah Smith and she lived at Golders Green. . . . She is one of the great ones. [You] have heard that fame in this country and fame on Earth are two quite different things.”
Jesus said that the greatest in the kingdom of heaven are the servants of all (Mark 10:43-44). Servants aren’t normally in the limelight. Often they’re found quietly obeying all that their masters have called them to do. Jesus calls us to love and to serve all people, even our enemies: “I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!” (Matthew 5:44).
Serving others on a daily basis doesn’t make for fame in this world. Yet our obedience to God revealed through our faithful love and service to Him and to others—even in the little things—is what God notices and celebrates (Luke 16:10). We might not be famous in the world’s eyes, but as C. S. Lewis so beautifully illustrates, such a posture of love and service makes us “famous” in God’s eyes and reflects Jesus’ example (Mark 10:45). —Marlena Graves
Read Revelation 22:12 to see how God views the importance of the things you do.
How are you encouraged by what it means to be famous in God’s eyes? Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more
- Driving for Peace - Who have you been engaged in conflict with recently?...read more