Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 4
Famous in God’s Eyes
READ Mark 10:42-45 Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant (v.43).
The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis is one of my all-time favorite books. A fictional account about the narrator’s trip to hell and heaven, I love the imagery and the lessons we can glean about what is and what’s not truly important. At one point on his journey deeper and deeper into the heavenly landscape, the narrator notices a huge parade. Musicians, girls, boys, and all sorts of animals are parading in honor of a lady of great renown.
The narrator assumes that the lady must be someone who was very famous on earth. He racks his brain trying to figure out who she could be. He then asks his guide, “Is it . . . Is it?” The guide to the heavenly realms declares, “It’s someone [you] never have heard of. Her name on earth was Sarah Smith and she lived at Golders Green. . . . She is one of the great ones. [You] have heard that fame in this country and fame on Earth are two quite different things.”
Jesus said that the greatest in the kingdom of heaven are the servants of all (Mark 10:43-44). Servants aren’t normally in the limelight. Often they’re found quietly obeying all that their masters have called them to do. Jesus calls us to love and to serve all people, even our enemies: “I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!” (Matthew 5:44).
Serving others on a daily basis doesn’t make for fame in this world. Yet our obedience to God revealed through our faithful love and service to Him and to others—even in the little things—is what God notices and celebrates (Luke 16:10). We might not be famous in the world’s eyes, but as C. S. Lewis so beautifully illustrates, such a posture of love and service makes us “famous” in God’s eyes and reflects Jesus’ example (Mark 10:45). —Marlena Graves
Read Revelation 22:12 to see how God views the importance of the things you do.
How are you encouraged by what it means to be famous in God’s eyes? Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more