What's ImportantHow has God been training you lately?
Top Christian Music Videos
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 4
Famous in God’s Eyes
READ Mark 10:42-45 Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant (v.43).
The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis is one of my all-time favorite books. A fictional account about the narrator’s trip to hell and heaven, I love the imagery and the lessons we can glean about what is and what’s not truly important. At one point on his journey deeper and deeper into the heavenly landscape, the narrator notices a huge parade. Musicians, girls, boys, and all sorts of animals are parading in honor of a lady of great renown.
The narrator assumes that the lady must be someone who was very famous on earth. He racks his brain trying to figure out who she could be. He then asks his guide, “Is it . . . Is it?” The guide to the heavenly realms declares, “It’s someone [you] never have heard of. Her name on earth was Sarah Smith and she lived at Golders Green. . . . She is one of the great ones. [You] have heard that fame in this country and fame on Earth are two quite different things.”
Jesus said that the greatest in the kingdom of heaven are the servants of all (Mark 10:43-44). Servants aren’t normally in the limelight. Often they’re found quietly obeying all that their masters have called them to do. Jesus calls us to love and to serve all people, even our enemies: “I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!” (Matthew 5:44).
Serving others on a daily basis doesn’t make for fame in this world. Yet our obedience to God revealed through our faithful love and service to Him and to others—even in the little things—is what God notices and celebrates (Luke 16:10). We might not be famous in the world’s eyes, but as C. S. Lewis so beautifully illustrates, such a posture of love and service makes us “famous” in God’s eyes and reflects Jesus’ example (Mark 10:45). —Marlena Graves
Read Revelation 22:12 to see how God views the importance of the things you do.
How are you encouraged by what it means to be famous in God’s eyes? Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more