What We ValueHow often do you read the Bible?
Top Music Videos
false gods, true blessing
The stuff of life has a way of turning our hearts away from God. False gods include money, success, school, careers, romantic relationships, children, and more. Tim Keller, in Counterfeit Gods, defines a false god this way: “Anything more important to you than God, anything that absorbs your heart and imagination more than God, anything you seek to give you what only God can give.”
In 1 Samuel we find the Israelites falling away from God as they fell for false gods (7:1-3). After tasting defeat at the hands of the dreaded Philistines and subsequently enduring deadly divine punishment due to disobedience, the people felt distant from Him (4:1-2, 6:19 . They cried out, “Who is able to stand in the presence of the Lord, this holy God?” (v.20).
Much like the way we think and sometimes behave when we’re feeling weak or insecure, the people turned to false gods to try to fill the spiritual hole in their heart. We might seek material things, achievements, or sex to make us feel better. But nothing will satisfy our deep desire and need for God.
Samuel the prophet made it clear that the Israelites had been looking for hope and meaning in all the wrong places. He said to the people, “If you are really serious about wanting to return to the Lord, get rid of your foreign gods . . . . Determine to obey only the Lord” (7:3). Fortunately, they got rid of their false gods (v.4).
The end result? Out of obedience flowed blessing—the Israelites were able to defeat the Philistines in battle (v.10). The One true God conquered a people who worshiped false gods.
What are the false gods in your life? Turn them over to God as you seek Him and His blessing alone. —Tom Felten
1 Samuel 7:3-13
If you are really serious about wanting to return to the Lord, get rid of your . . . gods (v.3).
Read Isaiah 43:10 and note what God says about Himself and false idols.
When are you most prone to seek false gods? Why can they never satisfy your deepest needs?
- What We Value - How often do you read the Bible?...read more
- The Job Paradox - When have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?...read more
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more