Top Music Videos
Monday September 1
faith at great risk
A group of friends and I are in the midst of attempting to read through the Bible in 90 days. Since beginning this endeavor, we’ve been surprised at the way God’s Word has become so alive for us.
Approaching the Bible in large sections at a time has proven to be a powerful experience. We’ve found that the contexts have become vivid and the stories fresh—almost as if we’re reading familiar passages for the first time.
When I ventured into Exodus, for example, I found myself mesmerized by the actions and faith of two women I’d taken little notice of previously. Though not royalty, these Hebrew women, Shiphrah and Puah, were used by God for divine purposes.
Shiphrah and Puah were midwives helping to bring Jewish babies into the world during a time when a ruthless Egyptian Pharaoh considered the growing Hebrew population a threat to his power (Exodus 1:15). So he told Shiphrah and Puah, “When you help the Hebrew women as they give birth, watch as they deliver. If the baby is a boy, kill him; if it is a girl, let her live” (v.16).
“But because the midwives feared God, they refused to obey the king’s orders. They allowed the boys to live, too” (v.17).
Shiphrah and Puah had remarkable faith in God and were willing to risk their lives as a result. In response, “God was good to the midwives” and not only spared their lives but used them to help the Israelites multiply in number and power (v.20). And, “because the midwives feared God, he gave them families of their own” (v.21).
As you spend time in the Word, whether in large or small doses, ask God to help you to walk obediently like Shiphrah, Puah and others we find in the Bible who lived by faith. —Roxanne Robbins
But because the midwives feared God, they refused to obey the king’s orders (v.17).
Read Hebrews 11:23-29 and consider the faith and life of a man who was miraculously saved as a baby.
How has God blessed you as you’ve placed your trust in Him? How can you use your profession to advance His kingdom?
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more