Warm WelcomeHow does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday September 1
faith at great risk
A group of friends and I are in the midst of attempting to read through the Bible in 90 days. Since beginning this endeavor, we’ve been surprised at the way God’s Word has become so alive for us.
Approaching the Bible in large sections at a time has proven to be a powerful experience. We’ve found that the contexts have become vivid and the stories fresh—almost as if we’re reading familiar passages for the first time.
When I ventured into Exodus, for example, I found myself mesmerized by the actions and faith of two women I’d taken little notice of previously. Though not royalty, these Hebrew women, Shiphrah and Puah, were used by God for divine purposes.
Shiphrah and Puah were midwives helping to bring Jewish babies into the world during a time when a ruthless Egyptian Pharaoh considered the growing Hebrew population a threat to his power (Exodus 1:15). So he told Shiphrah and Puah, “When you help the Hebrew women as they give birth, watch as they deliver. If the baby is a boy, kill him; if it is a girl, let her live” (v.16).
“But because the midwives feared God, they refused to obey the king’s orders. They allowed the boys to live, too” (v.17).
Shiphrah and Puah had remarkable faith in God and were willing to risk their lives as a result. In response, “God was good to the midwives” and not only spared their lives but used them to help the Israelites multiply in number and power (v.20). And, “because the midwives feared God, he gave them families of their own” (v.21).
As you spend time in the Word, whether in large or small doses, ask God to help you to walk obediently like Shiphrah, Puah and others we find in the Bible who lived by faith. —Roxanne Robbins
But because the midwives feared God, they refused to obey the king’s orders (v.17).
Read Hebrews 11:23-29 and consider the faith and life of a man who was miraculously saved as a baby.
How has God blessed you as you’ve placed your trust in Him? How can you use your profession to advance His kingdom?
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more