DistractionWhat’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday September 1
faith at great risk
A group of friends and I are in the midst of attempting to read through the Bible in 90 days. Since beginning this endeavor, we’ve been surprised at the way God’s Word has become so alive for us.
Approaching the Bible in large sections at a time has proven to be a powerful experience. We’ve found that the contexts have become vivid and the stories fresh—almost as if we’re reading familiar passages for the first time.
When I ventured into Exodus, for example, I found myself mesmerized by the actions and faith of two women I’d taken little notice of previously. Though not royalty, these Hebrew women, Shiphrah and Puah, were used by God for divine purposes.
Shiphrah and Puah were midwives helping to bring Jewish babies into the world during a time when a ruthless Egyptian Pharaoh considered the growing Hebrew population a threat to his power (Exodus 1:15). So he told Shiphrah and Puah, “When you help the Hebrew women as they give birth, watch as they deliver. If the baby is a boy, kill him; if it is a girl, let her live” (v.16).
“But because the midwives feared God, they refused to obey the king’s orders. They allowed the boys to live, too” (v.17).
Shiphrah and Puah had remarkable faith in God and were willing to risk their lives as a result. In response, “God was good to the midwives” and not only spared their lives but used them to help the Israelites multiply in number and power (v.20). And, “because the midwives feared God, he gave them families of their own” (v.21).
As you spend time in the Word, whether in large or small doses, ask God to help you to walk obediently like Shiphrah, Puah and others we find in the Bible who lived by faith. —Roxanne Robbins
But because the midwives feared God, they refused to obey the king’s orders (v.17).
Read Hebrews 11:23-29 and consider the faith and life of a man who was miraculously saved as a baby.
How has God blessed you as you’ve placed your trust in Him? How can you use your profession to advance His kingdom?
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more