Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
FRIDAY, JANUARY 6
John 12:1-8 Mary took a twelve-ounce jar of expensive perfume . . . and she anointed Jesus’ feet (v.3).
Every year during Holy Week (the week leading up to Easter), many churches follow Jesus’ example during the Last Supper by washing one another’s feet. Jesus washed His disciples’ feet and told them to imitate what He had done. Washing feet is a prayerful and powerful act, but it can also upset our sense of pride, personal space, and privacy. It can be truly unsettling.
Mary, filled with love for Jesus, pulled out her “jar of expensive perfume” and spilled it over Jesus’ feet (John 12:3). She cleaned them with the aromatic ointment, using her own hair as a towel.
Unlike the discomfort we might feel while having someone wash our feet (and the discomfort the disciples felt (especially Peter) when Jesus washed their feet), Jesus welcomed Mary’s tender generosity. It wasn’t Christ but Judas who was bothered. “That perfume was worth a year’s wages,” he exclaimed. “It should have been sold and the money given to the poor” (v.5).
John tells us that Judas’ intentions were not so noble as he made them sound; rather he was conniving to get his hands on more of the money. Still, I’m struck by Jesus’ defense of Mary. “Leave her alone,” He said. “You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me” (v.8). Jesus, a constant friend to those on the fringe, was in no way opposing care for the poor but rather highlighting how love for Him comes before all other affections.
Mary’s effusive love was an offense to some of those around her. Jesus’ effusive love for us is an offense to many as well. Extravagant love heals us, but it also unnerves us. We’ll need courage to both give and receive this powerful, profuse love that flows from God. —Winn Collier
Read the story of Jesus washing His disciples’ feet (John 13:1-17). Place yourself in the story. How would you feel? What questions would you have?
When have you encountered God’s extravagant love? What struggles do you face whenever you feel the desire to express an extravagant love for God?
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more