LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
A close friend of mine is married to a senior leader of an African nation that has for decades been known for extreme persecution. While her husband was serving as a catalyst in seeing that country’s people freed from an oppressive regime, my friend and her three children recently spent a year with me in Uganda.
One evening my son and I went to church with my friend and her family. When we climbed into their armored vehicle, I noticed that the 4-inch thick bulletproof windows were open. “The windows were not made to go down,” my friend explained. “But mechanics working on the vehicle yesterday were intrigued with the car and tampered with the windows. Now we can’t close them.”
Though my friend’s vehicle is designed to protect against grenades and other weapons, without the car’s full armor intact its passengers are vulnerable.
As believers, we have an enemy that’s on the prowl, looking for cracks in our armor where he can attack. “We are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12). That’s why we’re instructed to “be strong in the Lord,” and to “put on all of God’s armor” so that we can “stand firm against all strategies of the devil” (vv.10-11).
Today, and every day, remember to put on every piece of God’s armor: the helmet of salvation, the belt of truth, the body armor of God’s righteousness, and the shield of faith (vv.13-17). And as you wield the sword of the Spirit (God’s Word), you’ll be beating back the enemy and thwarting His devastating attacks. —Roxanne Robbins
Let us who live in the light be clearheaded, protected by the armor of faith and love, and wearing as our helmet the confidence of our salvation (1 Thessalonians 5:8).
Read about the person King Saul’s son Jonathan relied on to carry his armor in 1 Samuel 14:1-6. Which of your friends can help you face spiritual battles?
What will it take for you to be better prepared for spiritual attacks? How can God’s Word help you in these battles?
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more