WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Monday November 4
drowning in love
I recently baptized an elementary-age church member in a local river. His dad walked into the water with me, and we stood on each side of his son. Together, we submerged him and then raised him from the cool, cleansing stream. The dad beamed during the entire holy moment. It was the son’s baptism, but it was evident that he experienced the same joy.
The crowds flocked to the wilderness to hear John preach and to be baptized in the Jordan River (Luke 3:7). They came because he announced that something new was happening and that God’s kingdom was breaking through. The baptizer preached that “people should be baptized to show that they had repented of their sins and turned to God to be forgiven” (v.3).
Though John protested, Jesus came to be baptized as well. As He emerged from the Jordan, God the Father’s voice thundered from the sky: “You are My dearly loved Son, and You bring Me great joy” (v.22). Those loving words spoken from the Father to the Son were also heard by the crowd—they publicly witnessed Jesus being revealed as the Messiah (John 1:31-34).
Immediately following Jesus’ baptism, He endured 40 days of temptation and isolation in the wilderness. For the next 3 years, He was misunderstood and increasingly ridiculed. Eventually, He hung alone on a cross. First, however—before Jesus could sustain such hardship—it was essential for Him to know that the Father loved Him completely.
While this story is about Jesus’ baptism, it’s also about our baptism. It’s about God’s love for Jesus as well as God’s love for us through His Son. We too are God’s beloved children. He also delights in us. —Winn Collier
One day when the crowds were baptized, Jesus Himself was baptized (v.21).
Read Luke 3:1-14. What kind of radical life does this radical love call us to enjoy? What shape does love take?
Why do you think it was important for Jesus to receive the Father’s love and affirmation? Why is it vital for you to receive those things from Him?
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more