The Ultimate SourceGod’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways.
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday November 4
drowning in love
I recently baptized an elementary-age church member in a local river. His dad walked into the water with me, and we stood on each side of his son. Together, we submerged him and then raised him from the cool, cleansing stream. The dad beamed during the entire holy moment. It was the son’s baptism, but it was evident that he experienced the same joy.
The crowds flocked to the wilderness to hear John preach and to be baptized in the Jordan River (Luke 3:7). They came because he announced that something new was happening and that God’s kingdom was breaking through. The baptizer preached that “people should be baptized to show that they had repented of their sins and turned to God to be forgiven” (v.3).
Though John protested, Jesus came to be baptized as well. As He emerged from the Jordan, God the Father’s voice thundered from the sky: “You are My dearly loved Son, and You bring Me great joy” (v.22). Those loving words spoken from the Father to the Son were also heard by the crowd—they publicly witnessed Jesus being revealed as the Messiah (John 1:31-34).
Immediately following Jesus’ baptism, He endured 40 days of temptation and isolation in the wilderness. For the next 3 years, He was misunderstood and increasingly ridiculed. Eventually, He hung alone on a cross. First, however—before Jesus could sustain such hardship—it was essential for Him to know that the Father loved Him completely.
While this story is about Jesus’ baptism, it’s also about our baptism. It’s about God’s love for Jesus as well as God’s love for us through His Son. We too are God’s beloved children. He also delights in us. —Winn Collier
One day when the crowds were baptized, Jesus Himself was baptized (v.21).
Read Luke 3:1-14. What kind of radical life does this radical love call us to enjoy? What shape does love take?
Why do you think it was important for Jesus to receive the Father’s love and affirmation? Why is it vital for you to receive those things from Him?
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more