Always LovedEven before he made the world, God loved us and chose us.
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday November 4
drowning in love
I recently baptized an elementary-age church member in a local river. His dad walked into the water with me, and we stood on each side of his son. Together, we submerged him and then raised him from the cool, cleansing stream. The dad beamed during the entire holy moment. It was the son’s baptism, but it was evident that he experienced the same joy.
The crowds flocked to the wilderness to hear John preach and to be baptized in the Jordan River (Luke 3:7). They came because he announced that something new was happening and that God’s kingdom was breaking through. The baptizer preached that “people should be baptized to show that they had repented of their sins and turned to God to be forgiven” (v.3).
Though John protested, Jesus came to be baptized as well. As He emerged from the Jordan, God the Father’s voice thundered from the sky: “You are My dearly loved Son, and You bring Me great joy” (v.22). Those loving words spoken from the Father to the Son were also heard by the crowd—they publicly witnessed Jesus being revealed as the Messiah (John 1:31-34).
Immediately following Jesus’ baptism, He endured 40 days of temptation and isolation in the wilderness. For the next 3 years, He was misunderstood and increasingly ridiculed. Eventually, He hung alone on a cross. First, however—before Jesus could sustain such hardship—it was essential for Him to know that the Father loved Him completely.
While this story is about Jesus’ baptism, it’s also about our baptism. It’s about God’s love for Jesus as well as God’s love for us through His Son. We too are God’s beloved children. He also delights in us. —Winn Collier
One day when the crowds were baptized, Jesus Himself was baptized (v.21).
Read Luke 3:1-14. What kind of radical life does this radical love call us to enjoy? What shape does love take?
Why do you think it was important for Jesus to receive the Father’s love and affirmation? Why is it vital for you to receive those things from Him?
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more