Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday November 4
drowning in love
I recently baptized an elementary-age church member in a local river. His dad walked into the water with me, and we stood on each side of his son. Together, we submerged him and then raised him from the cool, cleansing stream. The dad beamed during the entire holy moment. It was the son’s baptism, but it was evident that he experienced the same joy.
The crowds flocked to the wilderness to hear John preach and to be baptized in the Jordan River (Luke 3:7). They came because he announced that something new was happening and that God’s kingdom was breaking through. The baptizer preached that “people should be baptized to show that they had repented of their sins and turned to God to be forgiven” (v.3).
Though John protested, Jesus came to be baptized as well. As He emerged from the Jordan, God the Father’s voice thundered from the sky: “You are My dearly loved Son, and You bring Me great joy” (v.22). Those loving words spoken from the Father to the Son were also heard by the crowd—they publicly witnessed Jesus being revealed as the Messiah (John 1:31-34).
Immediately following Jesus’ baptism, He endured 40 days of temptation and isolation in the wilderness. For the next 3 years, He was misunderstood and increasingly ridiculed. Eventually, He hung alone on a cross. First, however—before Jesus could sustain such hardship—it was essential for Him to know that the Father loved Him completely.
While this story is about Jesus’ baptism, it’s also about our baptism. It’s about God’s love for Jesus as well as God’s love for us through His Son. We too are God’s beloved children. He also delights in us. —Winn Collier
One day when the crowds were baptized, Jesus Himself was baptized (v.21).
Read Luke 3:1-14. What kind of radical life does this radical love call us to enjoy? What shape does love take?
Why do you think it was important for Jesus to receive the Father’s love and affirmation? Why is it vital for you to receive those things from Him?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more