Treasure that LastsWhat legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?
Top Christian Music Videos
Thursday September 26
don’t be evil
How does a cute, little baby grow up to become the face of evil? How does an Austrian boy become Adolf Hitler or a son of privilege turn into Osama bin Laden? And what makes one group of people slaughter members of a neighboring group? How could they possibly think that was a good idea?
We find a clue in the demise of Haman. He, as an Amalekite, hated the Jews. His people had attacked Israel as they were leaving Egypt, which prompted the Lord to state, “Write this down on a scroll as a permanent reminder...I will erase the [Amalekites] from under heaven” (Exodus 17:14). So when Haman learned that the fellow who would not bow to him was a Jew, “he looked for a way to destroy all the Jews throughout the entire empire” (Esther 3:6).
Haman told the king, “There is a certain race of people...who keep themselves separate from everyone else. Their laws are different from those of any other people, and they refuse to obey the laws of the king....If it please the king, issue a decree that they be destroyed” (vv.8-9).
Notice how Haman dehumanized Mordecai and the Jews. They were different—people who were difficult to understand. Once Haman marked them as other, he pushed that point to state that they lacked the right to life.
We may not have killed anyone, but we do mistreat him or her as an other whenever we turn that person into an object of lust, gossip, or disdain. And should that person ever cross us, we may find ourselves, like Haman, plotting acts we never thought we’d do.
Do you want to keep your heart pure? Remember that all people are made in God’s image, and you’ll find that evil thoughts will disappear. —Mike Wittmer
When Haman saw that Mordecai would not bow down or show him respect, he was filled with rage (v.5).
Read James 2:1-13 to learn why it’s important to value all people as significant.
Whom are you treating as an object of pleasure or disdain? How might this abuse lead to darker acts?
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more