Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
Thursday September 26
don’t be evil
How does a cute, little baby grow up to become the face of evil? How does an Austrian boy become Adolf Hitler or a son of privilege turn into Osama bin Laden? And what makes one group of people slaughter members of a neighboring group? How could they possibly think that was a good idea?
We find a clue in the demise of Haman. He, as an Amalekite, hated the Jews. His people had attacked Israel as they were leaving Egypt, which prompted the Lord to state, “Write this down on a scroll as a permanent reminder...I will erase the [Amalekites] from under heaven” (Exodus 17:14). So when Haman learned that the fellow who would not bow to him was a Jew, “he looked for a way to destroy all the Jews throughout the entire empire” (Esther 3:6).
Haman told the king, “There is a certain race of people...who keep themselves separate from everyone else. Their laws are different from those of any other people, and they refuse to obey the laws of the king....If it please the king, issue a decree that they be destroyed” (vv.8-9).
Notice how Haman dehumanized Mordecai and the Jews. They were different—people who were difficult to understand. Once Haman marked them as other, he pushed that point to state that they lacked the right to life.
We may not have killed anyone, but we do mistreat him or her as an other whenever we turn that person into an object of lust, gossip, or disdain. And should that person ever cross us, we may find ourselves, like Haman, plotting acts we never thought we’d do.
Do you want to keep your heart pure? Remember that all people are made in God’s image, and you’ll find that evil thoughts will disappear. —Mike Wittmer
When Haman saw that Mordecai would not bow down or show him respect, he was filled with rage (v.5).
Read James 2:1-13 to learn why it’s important to value all people as significant.
Whom are you treating as an object of pleasure or disdain? How might this abuse lead to darker acts?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more