Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
Thursday September 26
don’t be evil
How does a cute, little baby grow up to become the face of evil? How does an Austrian boy become Adolf Hitler or a son of privilege turn into Osama bin Laden? And what makes one group of people slaughter members of a neighboring group? How could they possibly think that was a good idea?
We find a clue in the demise of Haman. He, as an Amalekite, hated the Jews. His people had attacked Israel as they were leaving Egypt, which prompted the Lord to state, “Write this down on a scroll as a permanent reminder...I will erase the [Amalekites] from under heaven” (Exodus 17:14). So when Haman learned that the fellow who would not bow to him was a Jew, “he looked for a way to destroy all the Jews throughout the entire empire” (Esther 3:6).
Haman told the king, “There is a certain race of people...who keep themselves separate from everyone else. Their laws are different from those of any other people, and they refuse to obey the laws of the king....If it please the king, issue a decree that they be destroyed” (vv.8-9).
Notice how Haman dehumanized Mordecai and the Jews. They were different—people who were difficult to understand. Once Haman marked them as other, he pushed that point to state that they lacked the right to life.
We may not have killed anyone, but we do mistreat him or her as an other whenever we turn that person into an object of lust, gossip, or disdain. And should that person ever cross us, we may find ourselves, like Haman, plotting acts we never thought we’d do.
Do you want to keep your heart pure? Remember that all people are made in God’s image, and you’ll find that evil thoughts will disappear. —Mike Wittmer
When Haman saw that Mordecai would not bow down or show him respect, he was filled with rage (v.5).
Read James 2:1-13 to learn why it’s important to value all people as significant.
Whom are you treating as an object of pleasure or disdain? How might this abuse lead to darker acts?
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more