Treasure that LastsWhat legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?
Top Christian Music Videos
Tuesday September 24
discover what’s yours
Some residents in my state are discovering lost treasure. Many have reclaimed cash, property, and other financial holdings. With the help of the state’s I-cash program, Melva recovered $296.33 that her previous bank hadn’t sent to her. Robert logged into the program’s website and discovered that his grandmother had left him a $3,000 inheritance. The program’s motto is: Discover what’s yours.
Sometimes I wonder what our lives would be like if we discovered all that is ours through the Holy Spirit— untapped spiritual riches! One treasure we have in the Holy Spirit is the power to do what’s right. God’s power at work within us enables us to “put to death the deeds of [our] sinful nature” (Romans 8:13). We don’t have to try to be good on our own because the “Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness” (v.26). When willpower won’t cut it, we need supernatural help; then we can finally reconcile with the person who hurt us, avoid unwholesome websites, or turn down that extra plate of food.
Another treasure the Holy Spirit affords us is the ability to think clearly and correctly. We don’t always wake up in the morning with God-honoring thoughts in our brains. Sometimes we wake up at midnight with notions of dread, fear, or guilt. In those times, it’s comforting to remember that “letting the Spirit control [our] mind leads to life and peace” (v.6).
Just as people sometimes overlook their money and forfeit its benefits, many of us fail to notice and utilize the Holy Spirit’s power. Our lives are littered with our own efforts to do and to be good. Only God’s power working within us, however, will yield what’s best (Galatians 5:22-23). Discover what’s yours today! —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Romans 8:13-27 The Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness (v.26).
What happens to our relationship with God when we try to please Him in our own strength? Why do we sometimes overlook the Holy Spirit’s power in our lives?
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more