Subscribe to God’s HelpWhat temptations are you battling?
Top Music Videos
Tuesday September 24
discover what’s yours
Some residents in my state are discovering lost treasure. Many have reclaimed cash, property, and other financial holdings. With the help of the state’s I-cash program, Melva recovered $296.33 that her previous bank hadn’t sent to her. Robert logged into the program’s website and discovered that his grandmother had left him a $3,000 inheritance. The program’s motto is: Discover what’s yours.
Sometimes I wonder what our lives would be like if we discovered all that is ours through the Holy Spirit— untapped spiritual riches! One treasure we have in the Holy Spirit is the power to do what’s right. God’s power at work within us enables us to “put to death the deeds of [our] sinful nature” (Romans 8:13). We don’t have to try to be good on our own because the “Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness” (v.26). When willpower won’t cut it, we need supernatural help; then we can finally reconcile with the person who hurt us, avoid unwholesome websites, or turn down that extra plate of food.
Another treasure the Holy Spirit affords us is the ability to think clearly and correctly. We don’t always wake up in the morning with God-honoring thoughts in our brains. Sometimes we wake up at midnight with notions of dread, fear, or guilt. In those times, it’s comforting to remember that “letting the Spirit control [our] mind leads to life and peace” (v.6).
Just as people sometimes overlook their money and forfeit its benefits, many of us fail to notice and utilize the Holy Spirit’s power. Our lives are littered with our own efforts to do and to be good. Only God’s power working within us, however, will yield what’s best (Galatians 5:22-23). Discover what’s yours today! —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Romans 8:13-27 The Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness (v.26).
What happens to our relationship with God when we try to please Him in our own strength? Why do we sometimes overlook the Holy Spirit’s power in our lives?
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more