Sacrificial LoveWhat does it mean for you to carry your cross?
Top Christian Music Videos
Tuesday September 24
discover what’s yours
Some residents in my state are discovering lost treasure. Many have reclaimed cash, property, and other financial holdings. With the help of the state’s I-cash program, Melva recovered $296.33 that her previous bank hadn’t sent to her. Robert logged into the program’s website and discovered that his grandmother had left him a $3,000 inheritance. The program’s motto is: Discover what’s yours.
Sometimes I wonder what our lives would be like if we discovered all that is ours through the Holy Spirit— untapped spiritual riches! One treasure we have in the Holy Spirit is the power to do what’s right. God’s power at work within us enables us to “put to death the deeds of [our] sinful nature” (Romans 8:13). We don’t have to try to be good on our own because the “Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness” (v.26). When willpower won’t cut it, we need supernatural help; then we can finally reconcile with the person who hurt us, avoid unwholesome websites, or turn down that extra plate of food.
Another treasure the Holy Spirit affords us is the ability to think clearly and correctly. We don’t always wake up in the morning with God-honoring thoughts in our brains. Sometimes we wake up at midnight with notions of dread, fear, or guilt. In those times, it’s comforting to remember that “letting the Spirit control [our] mind leads to life and peace” (v.6).
Just as people sometimes overlook their money and forfeit its benefits, many of us fail to notice and utilize the Holy Spirit’s power. Our lives are littered with our own efforts to do and to be good. Only God’s power working within us, however, will yield what’s best (Galatians 5:22-23). Discover what’s yours today! —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Romans 8:13-27 The Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness (v.26).
What happens to our relationship with God when we try to please Him in our own strength? Why do we sometimes overlook the Holy Spirit’s power in our lives?
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more