After 35What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?
Top Music Videos
Tuesday September 24
discover what’s yours
Some residents in my state are discovering lost treasure. Many have reclaimed cash, property, and other financial holdings. With the help of the state’s I-cash program, Melva recovered $296.33 that her previous bank hadn’t sent to her. Robert logged into the program’s website and discovered that his grandmother had left him a $3,000 inheritance. The program’s motto is: Discover what’s yours.
Sometimes I wonder what our lives would be like if we discovered all that is ours through the Holy Spirit— untapped spiritual riches! One treasure we have in the Holy Spirit is the power to do what’s right. God’s power at work within us enables us to “put to death the deeds of [our] sinful nature” (Romans 8:13). We don’t have to try to be good on our own because the “Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness” (v.26). When willpower won’t cut it, we need supernatural help; then we can finally reconcile with the person who hurt us, avoid unwholesome websites, or turn down that extra plate of food.
Another treasure the Holy Spirit affords us is the ability to think clearly and correctly. We don’t always wake up in the morning with God-honoring thoughts in our brains. Sometimes we wake up at midnight with notions of dread, fear, or guilt. In those times, it’s comforting to remember that “letting the Spirit control [our] mind leads to life and peace” (v.6).
Just as people sometimes overlook their money and forfeit its benefits, many of us fail to notice and utilize the Holy Spirit’s power. Our lives are littered with our own efforts to do and to be good. Only God’s power working within us, however, will yield what’s best (Galatians 5:22-23). Discover what’s yours today! —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Romans 8:13-27 The Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness (v.26).
What happens to our relationship with God when we try to please Him in our own strength? Why do we sometimes overlook the Holy Spirit’s power in our lives?
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more
- What a Friend! - What does it mean to you to have a friend in Jesus?...read more