The First Day—AgainHow does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?
Top Music Videos
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17
Disciplined for Freedom
No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening— it’s painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way (v.11).
My dog has been trained to always come back to me the instant I call or whistle. It’s taken a lot of work to get this response. And now he consistently listens for me and responds immediately—no matter what distraction is vying for his attention. Since I can trust him, I’m able to take him off his leash and let him run around and explore the fields and woodlands. In short, because he’s been properly trained and can be trusted even when facing temptation, he can enjoy his freedom.
Most people don’t train their dogs like this. They believe that training puts too much pressure on their pets and is somehow unkind. But their dogs never gain true freedom— remaining leashed their entire lives.
Believers in Jesus almost invariably want to progress in their spiritual walk. And yet, when encountering the trials of life, do we see difficult times as training and preparation, or do we ask God, “Why is this happening?” or cry out, “Please take this away”? The writer of Hebrews expressed that “No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening—it’s painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way” (12:11). Such trials prove the father heart of God and make for right living by His work in us (vv.5-7,11).
It’s those who have spent time experiencing God’s discipline who are uniquely prepared to live out His ways before others. Only when we’ve been tested and refined are we then free to be let off our “leashes” and walk as mature believers.
How have we been reacting to God’s recent discipline? Freedom comes as we learn and grow in His loving, refining hands. —Russell Fralick
Are you facing a test or trial? Praise God for His faithful discipline. Is life easy? Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more