Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
Friday March 28
“Remember that thing Charlotte used to say when she didn’t get her way?”
My wife Merryn and I were sitting in church after the morning service. Merryn’s comment referred to a time when our niece, then 2 years old, wanted to play with all her blankets instead of just one, and the response she gave her mother when told she couldn’t.
“You mean,” I replied, “when she said, ‘You’re ruining me!’?”
“Yes. In many ways I’ve been saying the same thing to God about having a child,” Merryn said. “I’ve said, ‘I want one. Why can’t I have one? You’re ruining me for not giving me one!’ It’s time for this to stop.”
Merryn’s words were significant. We had tried for a decade to start a family, without success, and a few months previously had concluded that we would never have a child. This had been heartbreaking for both of us—but especially for Merryn. But now she spoke with the peace of one who had been spoken to by God, and I sensed a quiet breakthrough.
There comes a time for all of us when we must let God be God, whether He gives us what we want or not. Like Job, we may suffer loss (Job 1:12–2:10). Like him, we may demand answers from God about why we suffer (for example, 31:35-37). And like him, when God does break His silence He may not answer our questions (Job 38–39). Will we, like Job, give up our demands on God and serve Him anyway? (42:1-6). Can we say with him, “I was talking about things I knew nothing about” (v.3)?
“I don’t understand why God has said No to our having a child,” Merryn said. “Perhaps I never will. But I know Him, and I know He wouldn’t have meant this for evil. So it’s time to let go of the Why? questions now.”
It’s time to let God be God. —Sheridan Voysey
You asked, “Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?” It is I—and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too wonderful for me (v.3).
Read Mark 14:36 and see how Jesus responded to God the Father’s will for Him.
How have you been demanding something from God? Why is it vital that you serve Him, whether He grants your request or not?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more