What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
Friday March 28
“Remember that thing Charlotte used to say when she didn’t get her way?”
My wife Merryn and I were sitting in church after the morning service. Merryn’s comment referred to a time when our niece, then 2 years old, wanted to play with all her blankets instead of just one, and the response she gave her mother when told she couldn’t.
“You mean,” I replied, “when she said, ‘You’re ruining me!’?”
“Yes. In many ways I’ve been saying the same thing to God about having a child,” Merryn said. “I’ve said, ‘I want one. Why can’t I have one? You’re ruining me for not giving me one!’ It’s time for this to stop.”
Merryn’s words were significant. We had tried for a decade to start a family, without success, and a few months previously had concluded that we would never have a child. This had been heartbreaking for both of us—but especially for Merryn. But now she spoke with the peace of one who had been spoken to by God, and I sensed a quiet breakthrough.
There comes a time for all of us when we must let God be God, whether He gives us what we want or not. Like Job, we may suffer loss (Job 1:12–2:10). Like him, we may demand answers from God about why we suffer (for example, 31:35-37). And like him, when God does break His silence He may not answer our questions (Job 38–39). Will we, like Job, give up our demands on God and serve Him anyway? (42:1-6). Can we say with him, “I was talking about things I knew nothing about” (v.3)?
“I don’t understand why God has said No to our having a child,” Merryn said. “Perhaps I never will. But I know Him, and I know He wouldn’t have meant this for evil. So it’s time to let go of the Why? questions now.”
It’s time to let God be God. —Sheridan Voysey
You asked, “Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?” It is I—and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too wonderful for me (v.3).
Read Mark 14:36 and see how Jesus responded to God the Father’s will for Him.
How have you been demanding something from God? Why is it vital that you serve Him, whether He grants your request or not?
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more