Subscribe to God’s HelpWhat temptations are you battling?
Top Music Videos
Friday March 28
“Remember that thing Charlotte used to say when she didn’t get her way?”
My wife Merryn and I were sitting in church after the morning service. Merryn’s comment referred to a time when our niece, then 2 years old, wanted to play with all her blankets instead of just one, and the response she gave her mother when told she couldn’t.
“You mean,” I replied, “when she said, ‘You’re ruining me!’?”
“Yes. In many ways I’ve been saying the same thing to God about having a child,” Merryn said. “I’ve said, ‘I want one. Why can’t I have one? You’re ruining me for not giving me one!’ It’s time for this to stop.”
Merryn’s words were significant. We had tried for a decade to start a family, without success, and a few months previously had concluded that we would never have a child. This had been heartbreaking for both of us—but especially for Merryn. But now she spoke with the peace of one who had been spoken to by God, and I sensed a quiet breakthrough.
There comes a time for all of us when we must let God be God, whether He gives us what we want or not. Like Job, we may suffer loss (Job 1:12–2:10). Like him, we may demand answers from God about why we suffer (for example, 31:35-37). And like him, when God does break His silence He may not answer our questions (Job 38–39). Will we, like Job, give up our demands on God and serve Him anyway? (42:1-6). Can we say with him, “I was talking about things I knew nothing about” (v.3)?
“I don’t understand why God has said No to our having a child,” Merryn said. “Perhaps I never will. But I know Him, and I know He wouldn’t have meant this for evil. So it’s time to let go of the Why? questions now.”
It’s time to let God be God. —Sheridan Voysey
You asked, “Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?” It is I—and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too wonderful for me (v.3).
Read Mark 14:36 and see how Jesus responded to God the Father’s will for Him.
How have you been demanding something from God? Why is it vital that you serve Him, whether He grants your request or not?
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more