Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
Friday March 28
“Remember that thing Charlotte used to say when she didn’t get her way?”
My wife Merryn and I were sitting in church after the morning service. Merryn’s comment referred to a time when our niece, then 2 years old, wanted to play with all her blankets instead of just one, and the response she gave her mother when told she couldn’t.
“You mean,” I replied, “when she said, ‘You’re ruining me!’?”
“Yes. In many ways I’ve been saying the same thing to God about having a child,” Merryn said. “I’ve said, ‘I want one. Why can’t I have one? You’re ruining me for not giving me one!’ It’s time for this to stop.”
Merryn’s words were significant. We had tried for a decade to start a family, without success, and a few months previously had concluded that we would never have a child. This had been heartbreaking for both of us—but especially for Merryn. But now she spoke with the peace of one who had been spoken to by God, and I sensed a quiet breakthrough.
There comes a time for all of us when we must let God be God, whether He gives us what we want or not. Like Job, we may suffer loss (Job 1:12–2:10). Like him, we may demand answers from God about why we suffer (for example, 31:35-37). And like him, when God does break His silence He may not answer our questions (Job 38–39). Will we, like Job, give up our demands on God and serve Him anyway? (42:1-6). Can we say with him, “I was talking about things I knew nothing about” (v.3)?
“I don’t understand why God has said No to our having a child,” Merryn said. “Perhaps I never will. But I know Him, and I know He wouldn’t have meant this for evil. So it’s time to let go of the Why? questions now.”
It’s time to let God be God. —Sheridan Voysey
You asked, “Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?” It is I—and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too wonderful for me (v.3).
Read Mark 14:36 and see how Jesus responded to God the Father’s will for Him.
How have you been demanding something from God? Why is it vital that you serve Him, whether He grants your request or not?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more