Timeless GrooveWhat lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?
Top Christian Music Videos
Friday March 28
“Remember that thing Charlotte used to say when she didn’t get her way?”
My wife Merryn and I were sitting in church after the morning service. Merryn’s comment referred to a time when our niece, then 2 years old, wanted to play with all her blankets instead of just one, and the response she gave her mother when told she couldn’t.
“You mean,” I replied, “when she said, ‘You’re ruining me!’?”
“Yes. In many ways I’ve been saying the same thing to God about having a child,” Merryn said. “I’ve said, ‘I want one. Why can’t I have one? You’re ruining me for not giving me one!’ It’s time for this to stop.”
Merryn’s words were significant. We had tried for a decade to start a family, without success, and a few months previously had concluded that we would never have a child. This had been heartbreaking for both of us—but especially for Merryn. But now she spoke with the peace of one who had been spoken to by God, and I sensed a quiet breakthrough.
There comes a time for all of us when we must let God be God, whether He gives us what we want or not. Like Job, we may suffer loss (Job 1:12–2:10). Like him, we may demand answers from God about why we suffer (for example, 31:35-37). And like him, when God does break His silence He may not answer our questions (Job 38–39). Will we, like Job, give up our demands on God and serve Him anyway? (42:1-6). Can we say with him, “I was talking about things I knew nothing about” (v.3)?
“I don’t understand why God has said No to our having a child,” Merryn said. “Perhaps I never will. But I know Him, and I know He wouldn’t have meant this for evil. So it’s time to let go of the Why? questions now.”
It’s time to let God be God. —Sheridan Voysey
You asked, “Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?” It is I—and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too wonderful for me (v.3).
Read Mark 14:36 and see how Jesus responded to God the Father’s will for Him.
How have you been demanding something from God? Why is it vital that you serve Him, whether He grants your request or not?
- Timeless Groove - What lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?...read more
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more