What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
Over the last several weeks I've been dying, dying to me. My wife left her part-time teaching job at the community college to teach full-time at one of the local high schools. I was excited for her new opportunity and didn't mind making some sacrifices for her success. But I hadn't realized that sometimes she would have to leave early, stay late, and burn the midnight oil to write lesson plans and record grades. Her new schedule means I have to wake up the kids earlier, make breakfast, fix and pack lunches, drive them to and from school, and flex my schedule in cases of emergency.
I wonder if this is what Paul had in mind when he penned Ephesians 5:25. He commands husbands to model their behavior on the way Christ loved the church and demonstrated His love by dying on the cross. Such divine love goes far beyond sexual love or even love for friends. That kind of love leads to personal sacrifice for the one who is loved.
Christ sacrificed Himself for the church so that she could become pure and holy (vv.25-26). Husbands are to love their wives and treat them with the same care that they would their own bodies (v.28). Christ feeds and cares for His church because we are members of His body, and a husband is to show the same care for his wife (v.29).
The role of the husband in marriage can be fully understood in light of what Christ did and does for His bride, the church. We shouldn't look to culture to understand our relationship and role in marriage, but to Christ's example.
This example may mean that we have to die to our selfish ambition, our plans, and our schedules in order to demonstrate sacrificial love and care for our spouses. Join me in "dying to me"! , Marvin Williams, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more