Rejoicing in Deep NeedWhat happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?
Top Christian Music Videos
Obedience & Action
Don’t just listen to God’s Word. You must do what it says (v.22).
Francis Marion Tarwater, Flannery O’Connor’s
young, disturbed character in The Violent Bear It
Away, came of age in the backwoods—far from
the town and other people. Tarwater’s uncle, a bizarre
man who had ecstatic visions and believed he was a
prophet, raised the boy. When his uncle died, however,
Tarwater headed to the city to find his remaining family.
Once there, it became evident that he wasn’t prepared
for the city’s temptations. He discovered that he couldn’t
passively rest on the values he had been taught. He had
to act. “You can’t just say NO,” said Tarwater. “You got
to do NO. . . You got to show you’re not going to do one
thing by doing another.”
James, intensely concerned that our faith be lived and
not merely professed, said something similar. Words—
heard or spoken—are never enough. We have to act.
We have to obey. If we only hear God’s instructions but
never actually do anything with them, then we “are only
fooling [ourselves]” (James 1:22).
For James, foolishness was not ignorance (not
knowing the truth), but rather a failure of action
(knowing the truth, but not doing anything about it). “If
you listen to the Word and don’t obey,” he wrote, “it is
like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself,
walk away, and forget what you look like” (v.23-24).
Looking at a mirror is useless unless we act on whatever
we discover staring back at us. Likewise, hearing God’s Word is useless unless
we act on the truths we are given.
It’s easy to learn facts. We know that eating too many cheeseburgers is
bad for our health, and we know that our failure to forgive is toxic for our soul.
The problem isn’t our knowing these facts, however; it’s the need for doing, for
action. —Winn Collier
Looking back over James 1:19, what are the straightforward truths
James gives? What concrete actions does James suggest these truths
What truths has God revealed to you recently? What are you doing to
respond and to obey them?
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more