Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
Last fall I had to make the decision to have our family dog of 15 years put to sleep. It was one of the most heart-wrenching decisions I've ever made.
There's a reason why we refer to dogs as "man's best friend." Roger Caras once said, "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." I'm a better person for having had our "little buddy." Among other things, he taught me the value of forgiveness. I can recall many times when we butted heads (he never fully accepted that he wasn't the alpha male of the home) and found ourselves doggone mad at each other.
Amazingly, he was always quick to forgive and move on. My dog didn't realize it, but he illustrated something that Paul stressed as essential for human relationships: "Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you" (Colossians 3:13). He urged the same thing when he counseled his readers to "live in peace" whenever possible (Romans 12:18).
During what is often referred to as the "Sermon on the Mount," Jesus stressed that we are far better off if we settle our differences quickly (Matthew 5:25). Theologian Frederick Buechner wrote, "To lick your wounds, to smack your lips over grievances long past, to roll over your tongue the prospect of bitter confrontations still to come, to savor the last toothsome morsel of both the pain you are given and the pain you are giving back, in many ways it is a feast for a king. The chief drawback is that what you are wolfing down is yourself. The skeleton at the feast is you." Do you have an unresolved, lingering issue with someone? Get it taken care of quickly. Keep short accounts in relationships. You'll be glad you did. , Jeff Olson
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more