Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
There You Are!
Come and see a Man who told me everything I ever did! (John 4:29).
There are two kinds of people,” said advice columnist Abigail Van Buren. “Those who walk into a room and say, ‘There you are!’ and those who say, ‘Here I am!’” The one Person who could have rightly declared, “Here I am,” seemed oddly reluctant to promote Himself.
Jesus was much more interested in others. At His first miracle, He admonished His mother, “My time has not yet come” (John 2:4). Often He told the people He had healed: “Don’t tell anyone about this” (Mark 1:44). But when He met individuals, Jesus had a disarming way of seeing into their souls. “Who touched My robe?” He asked, as a frightened woman who had brushed
against His garment cowered nearby (v.30). Desperate and suffering from a 12-year physical condition, she wished to remain anonymous while accessing Jesus’ power. He, on the other hand, wanted a personal connection with her. “Daughter, your faith has made you
well,” He said gently. “Go in peace” (v.34).
On another occasion, Jesus ignored the taboos of His day when He reached out at Jacob’s well in Samaria to a woman with a sketchy past (John 4:4-42). Not only was He alone with a woman (gasp!), He engaged her in conversation. In so doing, He shrewdly turned an innocuous request—“Please give Me a drink” (v.7)—into a bridge to the woman’s very soul (vv.17-19). It was
as if her guard dropped and Jesus could suddenly say, “There you are!” Rather than recoiling at being “discovered,” the woman ran to the town to announce what had just happened (v.29).
As we learn to supplant “Here I am!” with “There you are!” we may find that we’re being used to spark discovery of God by others—reflecting the ways of Jesus Himself.
Read the story of the woman at the well (John 4:4). In what ways
did she seem surprised? Did Jesus seem at all judgmental of her? Why?
Are you the kind of person who announces “Here I am”? Or “There
you are”? Why? How will you strive to show your loving interest in
others today for Jesus’ glory?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more