The Ultimate SourceGod’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways.
Top Christian Music Videos
There You Are!
Come and see a Man who told me everything I ever did! (John 4:29).
There are two kinds of people,” said advice columnist Abigail Van Buren. “Those who walk into a room and say, ‘There you are!’ and those who say, ‘Here I am!’” The one Person who could have rightly declared, “Here I am,” seemed oddly reluctant to promote Himself.
Jesus was much more interested in others. At His first miracle, He admonished His mother, “My time has not yet come” (John 2:4). Often He told the people He had healed: “Don’t tell anyone about this” (Mark 1:44). But when He met individuals, Jesus had a disarming way of seeing into their souls. “Who touched My robe?” He asked, as a frightened woman who had brushed
against His garment cowered nearby (v.30). Desperate and suffering from a 12-year physical condition, she wished to remain anonymous while accessing Jesus’ power. He, on the other hand, wanted a personal connection with her. “Daughter, your faith has made you
well,” He said gently. “Go in peace” (v.34).
On another occasion, Jesus ignored the taboos of His day when He reached out at Jacob’s well in Samaria to a woman with a sketchy past (John 4:4-42). Not only was He alone with a woman (gasp!), He engaged her in conversation. In so doing, He shrewdly turned an innocuous request—“Please give Me a drink” (v.7)—into a bridge to the woman’s very soul (vv.17-19). It was
as if her guard dropped and Jesus could suddenly say, “There you are!” Rather than recoiling at being “discovered,” the woman ran to the town to announce what had just happened (v.29).
As we learn to supplant “Here I am!” with “There you are!” we may find that we’re being used to spark discovery of God by others—reflecting the ways of Jesus Himself.
Read the story of the woman at the well (John 4:4). In what ways
did she seem surprised? Did Jesus seem at all judgmental of her? Why?
Are you the kind of person who announces “Here I am”? Or “There
you are”? Why? How will you strive to show your loving interest in
others today for Jesus’ glory?
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more