Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
During a trip to Singapore, I was fascinated by the variety of cemeteries found there. One featured aboveground crypts with openings at the bottom. When I asked why the holes were there, my host explained that it was due to religious beliefs. The families of the deceased believe that the openings allow the spirits of the dead to move freely from their concrete confines.
Abraham needed a place for the body of his wife Sarah (Genesis 23:1-4). He wasn't concerned about obtaining a crypt with an opening. He simply needed a cave in which to lay his beloved Sarah to rest. During that time, it was expected that people would be buried in the place of their birth. That meant leaving Canaan (Israel) and heading all the way back to Ur (Iraq). But instead of following that practice, Abraham secured a tomb and buried Sarah in their new land, the promised land of God (v.11). This showed that he believed by faith that God had called them to live and die in Canaan. We also live with a new land in view.
The apostle Paul wrote, "As long as we live in these bodies we are not home with the Lord" (2 Corinthians 5:6). When we die, we leave this world behind and our spirit goes to dwell with Jesus (v.8). There will be no looking back to the land of our physical birth, for our eternal "house in heaven" will be beyond compare (2 Corinthians 5:1). Paul penned, "Living means living for Christ, and dying is even better" (Philippians 1:21). For he knew death would lead to being in God's presence forever. Choose to live today with eternity in mind. There's no need to fear death, for "whether we live or die, we belong to [Jesus]" (Romans 14:8). He has already set our spirit free for all eternity! (Hebrews 2:15). , Tom Felten
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more