Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
One In Ten
[Rachel] became jealous of her sister (v.1).
You know the feeling—the jolt of recognition. Could
it be? You inhale. Why, that’s so-and-so from high
school! She grew her hair out, and now she’s a
blonde! Somehow, the Internet has made it possible
for you to contact her. But, should you open that door?
How would it make your wife feel? Recent studies show
that one popular social website may be “fueling wild
flights of jealous investigation, as users in relationships
. . . scramble to find evidence of a partner’s unfaithful
thoughts or behavior.”
The Bible says jealousy is even more dangerous than
anger and wrath (Proverbs 27:4). It’s hazardous because
it stokes our cravings for worldly things and our desires
for others, rather than for God. Left unchecked, it may
even take us away from Him.
Jealousy brought Rachel to a state of desperation.
After she and her sister Leah married the same guy, Leah
had several babies. When Rachel realized she couldn’t
have kids, “she became jealous of her sister” (Genesis
30:1). Desperate for an infant of her own, she issued this
ultimatum to Jacob: Give me children, or I’ll die!
Things went from bad to worse. The baby tally was
three to zip with Leah in the lead, when Rachel said to
Jacob, “Take my maid, Bilhah, and sleep with her. She will
bear children for me” (v.3). When the hired help birthed
two sons, Rachel commented: “I have struggled hard with
my sister, and I’m winning!” (v.8)—evidence that jealousy breeds competition.
We can guard against jealousy. Fortunately, we don’t have to squelch our
strong desires; we just have to redirect them toward God. When we can say
to Him, “I desire You more than anything on earth” (Psalm 73:25), jealousy
will not rule our relationships.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How might jealousy ruin relationships? How does knowing that “love is not
jealous” change your thinking about the people in your life?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more