VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
One In Ten
[Rachel] became jealous of her sister (v.1).
You know the feeling—the jolt of recognition. Could
it be? You inhale. Why, that’s so-and-so from high
school! She grew her hair out, and now she’s a
blonde! Somehow, the Internet has made it possible
for you to contact her. But, should you open that door?
How would it make your wife feel? Recent studies show
that one popular social website may be “fueling wild
flights of jealous investigation, as users in relationships
. . . scramble to find evidence of a partner’s unfaithful
thoughts or behavior.”
The Bible says jealousy is even more dangerous than
anger and wrath (Proverbs 27:4). It’s hazardous because
it stokes our cravings for worldly things and our desires
for others, rather than for God. Left unchecked, it may
even take us away from Him.
Jealousy brought Rachel to a state of desperation.
After she and her sister Leah married the same guy, Leah
had several babies. When Rachel realized she couldn’t
have kids, “she became jealous of her sister” (Genesis
30:1). Desperate for an infant of her own, she issued this
ultimatum to Jacob: Give me children, or I’ll die!
Things went from bad to worse. The baby tally was
three to zip with Leah in the lead, when Rachel said to
Jacob, “Take my maid, Bilhah, and sleep with her. She will
bear children for me” (v.3). When the hired help birthed
two sons, Rachel commented: “I have struggled hard with
my sister, and I’m winning!” (v.8)—evidence that jealousy breeds competition.
We can guard against jealousy. Fortunately, we don’t have to squelch our
strong desires; we just have to redirect them toward God. When we can say
to Him, “I desire You more than anything on earth” (Psalm 73:25), jealousy
will not rule our relationships.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How might jealousy ruin relationships? How does knowing that “love is not
jealous” change your thinking about the people in your life?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more