Based on a True StoryWhat restoration has God brought to your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
One In Ten
[Rachel] became jealous of her sister (v.1).
You know the feeling—the jolt of recognition. Could
it be? You inhale. Why, that’s so-and-so from high
school! She grew her hair out, and now she’s a
blonde! Somehow, the Internet has made it possible
for you to contact her. But, should you open that door?
How would it make your wife feel? Recent studies show
that one popular social website may be “fueling wild
flights of jealous investigation, as users in relationships
. . . scramble to find evidence of a partner’s unfaithful
thoughts or behavior.”
The Bible says jealousy is even more dangerous than
anger and wrath (Proverbs 27:4). It’s hazardous because
it stokes our cravings for worldly things and our desires
for others, rather than for God. Left unchecked, it may
even take us away from Him.
Jealousy brought Rachel to a state of desperation.
After she and her sister Leah married the same guy, Leah
had several babies. When Rachel realized she couldn’t
have kids, “she became jealous of her sister” (Genesis
30:1). Desperate for an infant of her own, she issued this
ultimatum to Jacob: Give me children, or I’ll die!
Things went from bad to worse. The baby tally was
three to zip with Leah in the lead, when Rachel said to
Jacob, “Take my maid, Bilhah, and sleep with her. She will
bear children for me” (v.3). When the hired help birthed
two sons, Rachel commented: “I have struggled hard with
my sister, and I’m winning!” (v.8)—evidence that jealousy breeds competition.
We can guard against jealousy. Fortunately, we don’t have to squelch our
strong desires; we just have to redirect them toward God. When we can say
to Him, “I desire You more than anything on earth” (Psalm 73:25), jealousy
will not rule our relationships.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How might jealousy ruin relationships? How does knowing that “love is not
jealous” change your thinking about the people in your life?
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more