Tender HeartsHow can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Line of Sight
Yet when He comes near, I cannot see Him. When He moves by, I do not see Him go (v.11).
When our son learned to shoot with a bow and arrow, I found my interest in the sport piqued by its grace and artistry. One afternoon I decided to join him in the backyard to take a few shots. Doing something that contradicted his training, I moved the bow left of the target. I knew that I couldn’t hold my left eye closed, so I closed my right eye instead and compensated for the difference it would make in the flight of the arrow. Understandably, few shots made it to the center. Because my lack of training limited my vision, I lacked accuracy in sending the arrow to the bull’s-eye.
Like Job, when difficulties arise, we may begin to feel as if God has some personal vendetta against us. Tracing back our choices, we don’t see how our decisions (and even our sacrifices for or faithfulness to the Lord) have merited the situations we now encounter.
Recognizing the majesty of God, Job acknowledged His power. But that same sovereignty caused Job to wonder if God really was good and just (9:24). If God is all-powerful, then He has the ability to superimpose His authority in any circumstance. To Job, the question wasn’t whether God was able to change his situation; the question was why God was choosing not to intervene.
Interestingly, Job admitted his own limitations in his perspective. But because he couched his confession in complaint, he could not see that he had placed himself as a judge over God’s response to mankind (vv.17-18,22-23).
We are not unlike Job. When we don’t understand the situations around us, we must be careful not to define the ways of God through untrained eyes and in so doing miss the target of God’s hand as He works in our lives.
Read Isaiah 59:15. How is God’s covenant with His children intricately woven into the righteousness and justice of His character? What is our role in the covenant?
How have you been looking at a situation with skewed vision? What does God see?
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more