Calling on the AirIn what ways have you called on God for direction ?
Top Christian Music Videos
Line of Sight
Yet when He comes near, I cannot see Him. When He moves by, I do not see Him go (v.11).
When our son learned to shoot with a bow and arrow, I found my interest in the sport piqued by its grace and artistry. One afternoon I decided to join him in the backyard to take a few shots. Doing something that contradicted his training, I moved the bow left of the target. I knew that I couldn’t hold my left eye closed, so I closed my right eye instead and compensated for the difference it would make in the flight of the arrow. Understandably, few shots made it to the center. Because my lack of training limited my vision, I lacked accuracy in sending the arrow to the bull’s-eye.
Like Job, when difficulties arise, we may begin to feel as if God has some personal vendetta against us. Tracing back our choices, we don’t see how our decisions (and even our sacrifices for or faithfulness to the Lord) have merited the situations we now encounter.
Recognizing the majesty of God, Job acknowledged His power. But that same sovereignty caused Job to wonder if God really was good and just (9:24). If God is all-powerful, then He has the ability to superimpose His authority in any circumstance. To Job, the question wasn’t whether God was able to change his situation; the question was why God was choosing not to intervene.
Interestingly, Job admitted his own limitations in his perspective. But because he couched his confession in complaint, he could not see that he had placed himself as a judge over God’s response to mankind (vv.17-18,22-23).
We are not unlike Job. When we don’t understand the situations around us, we must be careful not to define the ways of God through untrained eyes and in so doing miss the target of God’s hand as He works in our lives.
Read Isaiah 59:15. How is God’s covenant with His children intricately woven into the righteousness and justice of His character? What is our role in the covenant?
How have you been looking at a situation with skewed vision? What does God see?
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more
- Songs in the Night - What’s your favorite worship song?...read more