MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
One of my neighbors, who was born in Tibet, has taught me the traditional Tibetan greeting, "Tashi Delek." Whenever I meet him, no matter the time of day, I see his gregarious smile and hear, "Tashi Delek", and I reply with the same words. The words mean "fine, well" or "all things good." I look forward to seeing him, and receiving his greeting. There is something rich in this ritual. The Hebrew word shalom carries a similar connotation. In English, we translate shalom as peace. However, through cultural association and overuse, peace often has a tame sense, denoting some kindly, calm state of passive inner reflection. Shalom, on the other hand, is a strong, active word. To offer someone shalom, as the Jews regularly did during Bible times (and still do today), was to pass on a blessing and to evoke God's good intentions for His world. Shalom communicates completeness, wholeness, and human delight. In other words, the notion of shalom speaks of the world as God always intended it to be.
This is why rebellion against God is so destructive. As one theologian put it, "Evil is the spoiling of shalom." When God first created the world, it existed in a state of joy and prosperity (shalom); and He continues to be active in His world, working to bring us back to that good place.
This theme runs throughout the Bible. God is a God of shalom, and He has formed His people to be a people of shalom. We are to work for the "peace and prosperity" of the cities and neighborhoods where we live (Jeremiah 29:7).
We are to "search for peace, and work to maintain it" (1 Peter 3:11). Wherever we go, we carry God's shalom with us. We receive and spread God's peace to the world. , Winn Collier
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more