Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
Look at the ravens. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns,
for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to Him than any
birds! (Luke 12:24).
The other day I stopped at a service station to fill
up my car’s gas tank. When I went inside to pay,
I noticed a little sparrow hopping around on the
windowsill next to the cashier. She told me the sparrow
had flown into the window a few days earlier and
injured its wing. So she had brought it inside to give it a
chance to mend.
It was obvious that the fragile bird was frightened.
But a caring woman had taken him under her wing,
providing him shelter and a place to heal.
Shortly after my encounter with the little bird, I thought
of the discussion about sparrows that Jesus had with His
twelve disciples. He mentioned the small birds as He
was sending the men out to represent Him officially to
the people of Israel (Matthew 10). It was a dangerous
mission that would put them in harm’s way. He knew the
Jewish religious leaders would malign and persecute
them just as they did Him. In light of that fact, He said
to them, “Look, I am sending you out as sheep among
Understanding that the disciples naturally would be
afraid, Jesus then told them about the sparrows. He said,
“What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coin?
But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without
your Father knowing it. . . . So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God
than a whole flock of sparrows” (vv.29-31).
Jesus’ point was simple. Since God makes it His business to consider the
welfare of little birds, He will also look after those who follow Him.
Is God sending you down a difficult path? Remember the sparrows and walk
without fear. Your heavenly Father will look after you.
Proverbs 29:25 describes what happens when we fear people and what
takes place when we trust God. Take a look!
When do you tend to fear man more than God? How do
Jesus’ words about the sparrows encourage you today?
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more