Subscribe to God’s HelpWhat temptations are you battling?
Top Music Videos
Look at the ravens. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns,
for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to Him than any
birds! (Luke 12:24).
The other day I stopped at a service station to fill
up my car’s gas tank. When I went inside to pay,
I noticed a little sparrow hopping around on the
windowsill next to the cashier. She told me the sparrow
had flown into the window a few days earlier and
injured its wing. So she had brought it inside to give it a
chance to mend.
It was obvious that the fragile bird was frightened.
But a caring woman had taken him under her wing,
providing him shelter and a place to heal.
Shortly after my encounter with the little bird, I thought
of the discussion about sparrows that Jesus had with His
twelve disciples. He mentioned the small birds as He
was sending the men out to represent Him officially to
the people of Israel (Matthew 10). It was a dangerous
mission that would put them in harm’s way. He knew the
Jewish religious leaders would malign and persecute
them just as they did Him. In light of that fact, He said
to them, “Look, I am sending you out as sheep among
Understanding that the disciples naturally would be
afraid, Jesus then told them about the sparrows. He said,
“What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coin?
But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without
your Father knowing it. . . . So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God
than a whole flock of sparrows” (vv.29-31).
Jesus’ point was simple. Since God makes it His business to consider the
welfare of little birds, He will also look after those who follow Him.
Is God sending you down a difficult path? Remember the sparrows and walk
without fear. Your heavenly Father will look after you.
Proverbs 29:25 describes what happens when we fear people and what
takes place when we trust God. Take a look!
When do you tend to fear man more than God? How do
Jesus’ words about the sparrows encourage you today?
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more