Right and Wrong WordsIs your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 John 1:1
We are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in
spiritual darkness (v.6).
Last year, a bizarre TV game show began airing
in France. Contestants were given questions and
all went well if they answered correctly. But a
wrong answer proved to be deadly. For the erring
contestants were then commanded to throw a switch
that appeared to force another contestant—strapped
in the “hot seat”—to endure a lethal 420 volts of
electricity. This death “game” was meant to show the
manipulative power of authority, but for the contestants
who thought they were electrocuting someone (the “hot
seat” contestant was actually an actor feigning getting
zapped), it was all too real.
It definitely wouldn’t be fun to be fooled on this
foolish show! But sometimes you and I might actually
be found “fooling ourselves” (1 John 1:8). The apostle
John put it this way, “We are lying if we say we
have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual
darkness; . . . not practicing the truth” (v.6). His point
is clear: Following any religious instruction or living
in any way that is contrary to Jesus’ teachings shows
that we’ve embraced spiritual darkness. We’re fooling
ourselves and “lying” to God (v.6).
Here are some common ways we sinfully select
darkness instead of God’s light:
• Choosing fellowship with the world over fellowship
with God out of selfishness and sinful pride.
• Living a legalistic life that places erroneous traditions above God’s truth.
• Trying to hide our sins instead of confessing them to God.
All of these things point to a heart issue. For us to move back into the light of
Jesus will require true repentance—turning away from sin-seeking people and
things that ensnare us, confessing our sin to God, and walking in His light (v.9).
Are we ready? It’s time to stop fooling ourselves.
As you read John 8:12, consider what it looks like to truly “follow” Jesus.
How have you been dabbling in the darkness of this world? What
will you do this week to begin walking in the light of Jesus?
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more