Offering Refuge and HopeHow can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?
Top Music Videos
1 John 1:1
We are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in
spiritual darkness (v.6).
Last year, a bizarre TV game show began airing
in France. Contestants were given questions and
all went well if they answered correctly. But a
wrong answer proved to be deadly. For the erring
contestants were then commanded to throw a switch
that appeared to force another contestant—strapped
in the “hot seat”—to endure a lethal 420 volts of
electricity. This death “game” was meant to show the
manipulative power of authority, but for the contestants
who thought they were electrocuting someone (the “hot
seat” contestant was actually an actor feigning getting
zapped), it was all too real.
It definitely wouldn’t be fun to be fooled on this
foolish show! But sometimes you and I might actually
be found “fooling ourselves” (1 John 1:8). The apostle
John put it this way, “We are lying if we say we
have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual
darkness; . . . not practicing the truth” (v.6). His point
is clear: Following any religious instruction or living
in any way that is contrary to Jesus’ teachings shows
that we’ve embraced spiritual darkness. We’re fooling
ourselves and “lying” to God (v.6).
Here are some common ways we sinfully select
darkness instead of God’s light:
• Choosing fellowship with the world over fellowship
with God out of selfishness and sinful pride.
• Living a legalistic life that places erroneous traditions above God’s truth.
• Trying to hide our sins instead of confessing them to God.
All of these things point to a heart issue. For us to move back into the light of
Jesus will require true repentance—turning away from sin-seeking people and
things that ensnare us, confessing our sin to God, and walking in His light (v.9).
Are we ready? It’s time to stop fooling ourselves.
As you read John 8:12, consider what it looks like to truly “follow” Jesus.
How have you been dabbling in the darkness of this world? What
will you do this week to begin walking in the light of Jesus?
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more
- “For God’s Sake!” - What have been your responses to particularly painful moments in life?...read more