Test of CourageRead Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God.
Top Christian Music Videos
In The Arena
So the Jewish elders continued their work, and they were greatly
encouraged by the preaching of the prophets Haggai and Zechariah (6:14).
Theodore Roosevelt got things done. He was the
driving force behind the completion of the ambitious
Panama Canal project, won the Nobel Peace Prize,
and served as Assistant Secretary of the US Navy.
Oh, and he also became the 26th president of the
United States (jump-starting his country’s conservation
Like anyone who accomplishes great things, Teddy
Roosevelt had his critics. He said of them: “It is not the
critic who counts; not the man who points out how the
strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could
have done them better. The credit belongs to the man
who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by
dust and sweat and blood.” He added, “There is no
effort without error and shortcoming.”
In 539 BC, Cyrus King of Persia conquered Babylon
and allowed the exiled Jewish people to return to their
homeland. He also gave them instructions to rebuild the
temple in Jerusalem. But when that work began, the Jews
met with derisive opposition. “Then the local [non-Jewish]
residents tried to discourage and frighten the people of
Judah to keep them from their work,” says the ancient
record (Ezra 4:4). The building came to a halt (4:24),
and the temple was not completed until 23 years later
in 516 BC.
People who are critical are fueled by a variety of
motivations—pride, insecurity, envy, fear, hatred. But what do they accomplish?
It can be wise to question a plan and to entertain opposing views. But criticism
isn’t a spiritual gift; it’s a character flaw. If you’re prone to criticize, ask the Holy
Spirit to soften your heart. If you’re the target of criticism, don’t worry about
those critics. Be someone who’s in the arena, not heckling in the crowd.
Are you prone to be critical or encouraging? How do you react when
you are criticized? How can God help you deal with these detractions?
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more