MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
So here I sit in my sweatpants. Not exactly the corporate casual attire we're supposed to wear in the office. That's because, due to sickness, I've been out of the office the past two days. I picked up a "bug" that my body has been battling. It's not a big deal, far from what I experienced during the three times I've gone toe-to-toe with cancer. Any type of sickness, however, is an unwelcome guest.
But it can also be just the bitter visitor we need. King Hezekiah was afflicted with a sickness that made him "deathly ill" (Isaiah 38:1). Though he had been a good, godly king in Judah for many of his years (2 Kings 18:1-5), he failed by seeking help from Egypt instead of God Himself (Isaiah 31). God brought some sacred sickness into Hezekiah's life to help him get well spiritually.
The steps the king took to get well were just what the doctor ordered: â€¢ Prayer. His first response was to pray (38:2). He spent some time with God, pouring out his heart before Him. â€¢ Humility. Hezekiah experienced a wake-up call, one that allowed him to see the brevity of life (2 Corinthians 5:1) and his own humble state (Isaiah 38:15).
He dropped to his knees before his holy, sovereign God. â€¢ Acceptance. He acknowledged that his good God had allowed his illness as a means of pointing him toward renewed service and life (v.16). â€¢ Praise. He praised God for His faithfulness, placing his focus and faith firmly on the Great Healer of hearts and bodies (vv.17-20).
God allows sickness in our lives for our good (Romans 8:28). We can grow in our relationship with Him as we call out to Him in prayer, acknowledge our human frailty, accept what He has allowed to take place, and praise Him even in our suffering (Job 1:21). , Tom Felten
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more