Finding RefugeWhat does it mean for God to be your true refuge?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Little People
You are the salt of the earth. . . . You are the light of the world (Matthew 5:13)
They had gathered on the lush, rolling slopes to hear Him. And He stood there on the hill, looking into the eyes of as many of them as He could.
It was a motley group gathered before him. Some were sick and diseased, others suffered seizures and chronic pain, some were paralyzed and a few were even demon possessed (Matthew 4:24). “You are the salt of the earth,” He told them (5:13). Hundreds had gathered there, rushing from all corners of the region to receive His blessing—Jews from Jerusalem and Judea, Gentiles from the Decapolis. “You are the light of the world,” He declared (v.14).
Perhaps he was just being nice. Seriously, what effect could a bunch of peasants have on the world? Timid, insignificant peasants. The Teacher had already “blessed” them as being poor, meek, merciful, humble, sad, and downtrodden (vv.3-11). What kind of influence could such people have on a world that favored power and status? But that’s what He said. They were the salt that preserved and flavored society. They were lights that drew people to God. They would soon turn the world upside down (Acts 17:6).
In our quiet moments of despair, when we feel like nobodies and underachievers—lacking popularity, political power, public profile, thinking we wield no influence on the world and have little to offer God—let’s remember who Jesus proclaimed as the world’s reformers: the little people. Common folk. Farmers. Not the elite or powerful or the brightest in the class. All these little people had was the blessing of Jesus, a holy distinctive they were not to lose (Matthew 5:13), and luminescent deeds of love (v.16).
The currency of influence in God’s kingdom is not position, but glory—the glory of God shining through your life, bringing the world to its knees.
How are you prone to think of yourself as less than Jesus sees you? To what degree are you pursuing a holy, distinct life?
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more