Genuine LoveHow have you experienced the reality of God’s love?
Top Music Videos
The Little People
You are the salt of the earth. . . . You are the light of the world (Matthew 5:13)
They had gathered on the lush, rolling slopes to hear Him. And He stood there on the hill, looking into the eyes of as many of them as He could.
It was a motley group gathered before him. Some were sick and diseased, others suffered seizures and chronic pain, some were paralyzed and a few were even demon possessed (Matthew 4:24). “You are the salt of the earth,” He told them (5:13). Hundreds had gathered there, rushing from all corners of the region to receive His blessing—Jews from Jerusalem and Judea, Gentiles from the Decapolis. “You are the light of the world,” He declared (v.14).
Perhaps he was just being nice. Seriously, what effect could a bunch of peasants have on the world? Timid, insignificant peasants. The Teacher had already “blessed” them as being poor, meek, merciful, humble, sad, and downtrodden (vv.3-11). What kind of influence could such people have on a world that favored power and status? But that’s what He said. They were the salt that preserved and flavored society. They were lights that drew people to God. They would soon turn the world upside down (Acts 17:6).
In our quiet moments of despair, when we feel like nobodies and underachievers—lacking popularity, political power, public profile, thinking we wield no influence on the world and have little to offer God—let’s remember who Jesus proclaimed as the world’s reformers: the little people. Common folk. Farmers. Not the elite or powerful or the brightest in the class. All these little people had was the blessing of Jesus, a holy distinctive they were not to lose (Matthew 5:13), and luminescent deeds of love (v.16).
The currency of influence in God’s kingdom is not position, but glory—the glory of God shining through your life, bringing the world to its knees.
How are you prone to think of yourself as less than Jesus sees you? To what degree are you pursuing a holy, distinct life?
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more
- Life and Loss - Where are you going with your pain?...read more