The Gift of LoveHow should you respond to such a great love?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Little People
You are the salt of the earth. . . . You are the light of the world (Matthew 5:13)
They had gathered on the lush, rolling slopes to hear Him. And He stood there on the hill, looking into the eyes of as many of them as He could.
It was a motley group gathered before him. Some were sick and diseased, others suffered seizures and chronic pain, some were paralyzed and a few were even demon possessed (Matthew 4:24). “You are the salt of the earth,” He told them (5:13). Hundreds had gathered there, rushing from all corners of the region to receive His blessing—Jews from Jerusalem and Judea, Gentiles from the Decapolis. “You are the light of the world,” He declared (v.14).
Perhaps he was just being nice. Seriously, what effect could a bunch of peasants have on the world? Timid, insignificant peasants. The Teacher had already “blessed” them as being poor, meek, merciful, humble, sad, and downtrodden (vv.3-11). What kind of influence could such people have on a world that favored power and status? But that’s what He said. They were the salt that preserved and flavored society. They were lights that drew people to God. They would soon turn the world upside down (Acts 17:6).
In our quiet moments of despair, when we feel like nobodies and underachievers—lacking popularity, political power, public profile, thinking we wield no influence on the world and have little to offer God—let’s remember who Jesus proclaimed as the world’s reformers: the little people. Common folk. Farmers. Not the elite or powerful or the brightest in the class. All these little people had was the blessing of Jesus, a holy distinctive they were not to lose (Matthew 5:13), and luminescent deeds of love (v.16).
The currency of influence in God’s kingdom is not position, but glory—the glory of God shining through your life, bringing the world to its knees.
How are you prone to think of yourself as less than Jesus sees you? To what degree are you pursuing a holy, distinct life?
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more