Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
I was just a few minutes away from major surgery. Nurses circulated through the room and I was hooked up to all sorts of monitors. Suddenly, a computer screen started blipping wildly. What was happening? Would I be all right? A nurse glanced at the readout and announced that it was monitoring my heart rate. I needed to calm down!
I'm not the only one who has experienced anxiety before a big event. One peek at the Philistine army caused King Saul to become "frantic with fear" (1 Samuel 28:5). Fear's influence increased until it controlled the king.
It started out with fear of the Philistines, but then Saul realized that because of some prior disobedience (15:7-26), "the Lord refused to answer him" when he asked for advice (28:6). Silence from God can make a frightening situation even scarier. So, instead of repenting, Saul ordered his advisors to find a spiritist.
Saul's fear was evident as he "disguised himself by wearing ordinary clothing . . . . Then he went to the [witch's] home at night" (v.8). It was against his own law to consult with anyone who summoned dead spirits (vv.3,9), and he was afraid of getting caught! Still in panic mode, Saul asked Samuel's spirit for advice.
Samuel said that the Philistines would trounce Israel, killing Saul and his sons the very next day. Hearing this, "Saul fell full length on the ground, paralyzed with fright" (v.20). When terror has control of us, it can immobilize us and make us ineffective. That's one reason God doesn't want us to live in the grip of fear. As Christians, we "have not received a spirit that makes [us] fearful slaves" (Romans 8:15). Rather, we're supposed to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Letting God's Spirit control our minds "leads to life and peace" (v.6), instead of frantic feelings. , Jennifer Benson Schuldt
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more