Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
After making all the petitions for God's glory to be magnified (Matthew 6:9-10) and for God's grace to meet our needs (vv.11-13), The Lord's Prayer concludes with a praise item, a doxology: "For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen" (v.13 NKJV).
This doxology isn't found in the oldest and most reliable Greek manuscripts. That's why some Bibles have it printed as a footnote. Bible scholars believe that the doxology was added much later, sometime in the first or second century AD.
Now, just because Jesus didn't speak them, this doesn't mean we shouldn't use these words today. There's nothing theologically incorrect about its wording. In fact, King David offered a similar doxology when he dedicated the materials that were collected for the building of the temple (1 Chronicles 29:10-11). Scholars believed that verse 13 is based on David's doxology. In the New Testament, we see the angels in heaven praising God with a similar doxology (Revelation 5:13).
In response to God's gracious provisions (Matthew 6:11), pardon (v.12), and protection (v.13), we offer our heartfelt worship to the Father. "Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen."
There are three significant phrases in the doxology: the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever: The kingdom speaks of God's sovereignty, He is King; the power describes our trust in His omnipotence. He is the all-powerful King; the glory forever is a joyful declaration of His Majesty. He is the glorious King.
The doxology beautifully describes the One we pray to and praise. He alone deserves the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen. , K.T. Sim
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more