The Job ParadoxWhen have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?
Top Music Videos
Everyone enjoys a fitting reply; it is wonderful to say the right thing at the
right time! (15:23).
To continue working and ministering in Uganda
through the nonprofit organization I launched in
2009 called Tukutana, I recently had to raise a
considerable amount of funds in a short period of time.
Amazingly—despite the struggling economy—after my
need was shared by e-mail, the donations poured in and
my entire quarterly goal was met in less than 48 hours!
Experiencing God’s provision in such a dramatic way
reminded me of the truth found in 2 Corinthians 9:8:
“God will generously provide all you need. Then you will
always have everything you need and plenty to share
It was not only the happy outcome, however, that
made me reflect on God’s Word. Throughout the
fundraising process, I received many “No’s” that pointed
me to Scripture as well.
One person, for example, wrote, “We are
disappointed to not be able to contribute to this part of
God’s work right now.” Another added, “Again, we love
what you’re doing and can’t help, but wish that we could
lend a hand to support you. Yet, we know the Lord has
led us to give ourselves to these other ministries and so
we can joyfully decline and know that He will raise up
others to accomplish His purposes.”
Indeed, as these friends expressed, whatever ministry
you and I are a part of is simply a slice of God’s vast
work around the world. I’m thankful for this reminder and for friends who,
though unable to participate financially in my work, still took the time to send
encouraging notes that were bathed in honesty and affirmation.
Proverbs 16:24 says, “Kind words are like honey.” How have you
experienced the benefit of kind words recently?
Handwrite a letter to thank someone for his or her friendship,
encouraging that person to press on or expressing a quality you admire
about him or her. How did Jesus use “wise words” to inspire specific
people He met?
- The Job Paradox - When have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?...read more
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more