Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Don’t let that day catch you unaware. . . . For that day will come upon everyone living on the earth. Keep alert at all times (21:34-36).
A doomsday prophet predicted that Jesus would return on September 6, 1994, then May 21, 2011, and then finally on October 21, 2011. He even said that God had stopped saving people after May 21. When the final doomsday prediction did not happen, the man had to finally apologize for his false teachings.
For centuries, the Jews were expecting the Messiah to come to be their King. They wondered if Jesus, a small- town rabbi, was the One (Luke 7:19). But the Pharisees challenged Him—saying in essence: If You are the Messiah, when will You set up Your kingdom? (17:20).
Jesus said that many will speculate about His coming, saying, “ ‘Look, there is the Son of Man,’ or ‘Here He is,’ but don’t go out and follow them” (v.23). It’s also futile to predict the date of His return. “It will be ‘business as usual’ right up to the day when the Son of Man is revealed” (v.30). But Jesus will return at a time when people least expect Him (vv.26-29, 34-35), as quickly and suddenly as lightning (v.24).
When Jesus returns, the world will be as it was in the days of Noah (vv.26-27) and Lot (vv.28-30)— consistently and totally evil (Genesis 6:5; 2 Peter 2:7), characterized by unprecedented violence (Genesis 6:11) and unnatural relationships (19:5).
Yes, Jesus will punish a corrupt and wicked world when He returns (Luke 17:26). But, no, God has not stopped saving people. For God “does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent” (2 Peter 2:9). “He wants everyone to be saved” (1 Timothy 1:4). There is still time to believe in Jesus. “Indeed, the ‘right time’ is now. Today is the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 2:2).
Why does Jesus tell us to keep watching for His return? (Mark 13:32). What does it mean for you to be on guard and to stay alert for His second coming?
Do you want Jesus to return in your lifetime? Why? What’s one thing that you want to do before Jesus’ return?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more