MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
Don’t let that day catch you unaware. . . . For that day will come upon everyone living on the earth. Keep alert at all times (21:34-36).
A doomsday prophet predicted that Jesus would return on September 6, 1994, then May 21, 2011, and then finally on October 21, 2011. He even said that God had stopped saving people after May 21. When the final doomsday prediction did not happen, the man had to finally apologize for his false teachings.
For centuries, the Jews were expecting the Messiah to come to be their King. They wondered if Jesus, a small- town rabbi, was the One (Luke 7:19). But the Pharisees challenged Him—saying in essence: If You are the Messiah, when will You set up Your kingdom? (17:20).
Jesus said that many will speculate about His coming, saying, “ ‘Look, there is the Son of Man,’ or ‘Here He is,’ but don’t go out and follow them” (v.23). It’s also futile to predict the date of His return. “It will be ‘business as usual’ right up to the day when the Son of Man is revealed” (v.30). But Jesus will return at a time when people least expect Him (vv.26-29, 34-35), as quickly and suddenly as lightning (v.24).
When Jesus returns, the world will be as it was in the days of Noah (vv.26-27) and Lot (vv.28-30)— consistently and totally evil (Genesis 6:5; 2 Peter 2:7), characterized by unprecedented violence (Genesis 6:11) and unnatural relationships (19:5).
Yes, Jesus will punish a corrupt and wicked world when He returns (Luke 17:26). But, no, God has not stopped saving people. For God “does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent” (2 Peter 2:9). “He wants everyone to be saved” (1 Timothy 1:4). There is still time to believe in Jesus. “Indeed, the ‘right time’ is now. Today is the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 2:2).
Why does Jesus tell us to keep watching for His return? (Mark 13:32). What does it mean for you to be on guard and to stay alert for His second coming?
Do you want Jesus to return in your lifetime? Why? What’s one thing that you want to do before Jesus’ return?
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more