Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Don’t let that day catch you unaware. . . . For that day will come upon everyone living on the earth. Keep alert at all times (21:34-36).
A doomsday prophet predicted that Jesus would return on September 6, 1994, then May 21, 2011, and then finally on October 21, 2011. He even said that God had stopped saving people after May 21. When the final doomsday prediction did not happen, the man had to finally apologize for his false teachings.
For centuries, the Jews were expecting the Messiah to come to be their King. They wondered if Jesus, a small- town rabbi, was the One (Luke 7:19). But the Pharisees challenged Him—saying in essence: If You are the Messiah, when will You set up Your kingdom? (17:20).
Jesus said that many will speculate about His coming, saying, “ ‘Look, there is the Son of Man,’ or ‘Here He is,’ but don’t go out and follow them” (v.23). It’s also futile to predict the date of His return. “It will be ‘business as usual’ right up to the day when the Son of Man is revealed” (v.30). But Jesus will return at a time when people least expect Him (vv.26-29, 34-35), as quickly and suddenly as lightning (v.24).
When Jesus returns, the world will be as it was in the days of Noah (vv.26-27) and Lot (vv.28-30)— consistently and totally evil (Genesis 6:5; 2 Peter 2:7), characterized by unprecedented violence (Genesis 6:11) and unnatural relationships (19:5).
Yes, Jesus will punish a corrupt and wicked world when He returns (Luke 17:26). But, no, God has not stopped saving people. For God “does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent” (2 Peter 2:9). “He wants everyone to be saved” (1 Timothy 1:4). There is still time to believe in Jesus. “Indeed, the ‘right time’ is now. Today is the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 2:2).
Why does Jesus tell us to keep watching for His return? (Mark 13:32). What does it mean for you to be on guard and to stay alert for His second coming?
Do you want Jesus to return in your lifetime? Why? What’s one thing that you want to do before Jesus’ return?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more