Tender HeartsHow can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Don’t let that day catch you unaware. . . . For that day will come upon everyone living on the earth. Keep alert at all times (21:34-36).
A doomsday prophet predicted that Jesus would return on September 6, 1994, then May 21, 2011, and then finally on October 21, 2011. He even said that God had stopped saving people after May 21. When the final doomsday prediction did not happen, the man had to finally apologize for his false teachings.
For centuries, the Jews were expecting the Messiah to come to be their King. They wondered if Jesus, a small- town rabbi, was the One (Luke 7:19). But the Pharisees challenged Him—saying in essence: If You are the Messiah, when will You set up Your kingdom? (17:20).
Jesus said that many will speculate about His coming, saying, “ ‘Look, there is the Son of Man,’ or ‘Here He is,’ but don’t go out and follow them” (v.23). It’s also futile to predict the date of His return. “It will be ‘business as usual’ right up to the day when the Son of Man is revealed” (v.30). But Jesus will return at a time when people least expect Him (vv.26-29, 34-35), as quickly and suddenly as lightning (v.24).
When Jesus returns, the world will be as it was in the days of Noah (vv.26-27) and Lot (vv.28-30)— consistently and totally evil (Genesis 6:5; 2 Peter 2:7), characterized by unprecedented violence (Genesis 6:11) and unnatural relationships (19:5).
Yes, Jesus will punish a corrupt and wicked world when He returns (Luke 17:26). But, no, God has not stopped saving people. For God “does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent” (2 Peter 2:9). “He wants everyone to be saved” (1 Timothy 1:4). There is still time to believe in Jesus. “Indeed, the ‘right time’ is now. Today is the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 2:2).
Why does Jesus tell us to keep watching for His return? (Mark 13:32). What does it mean for you to be on guard and to stay alert for His second coming?
Do you want Jesus to return in your lifetime? Why? What’s one thing that you want to do before Jesus’ return?
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more