Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
With the advent of cell phones, texting, and online chat, an abbreviated form of language has emerged. Texters and chatters regularly communicate with shortcuts like "lol" (laugh out loud) or "idk" (I don't know).
For the most part, these abbreviations are harmless. One popular shortcut, however, is truly offensive to believers in Jesus, "omg." The most common meaning given to this abbreviation is the expression "Oh, my God."
Should we be concerned by its use? Or are we making something out of nothing? Consider this: Although the Bible doesn't legalistically regulate every single word that comes out of our mouths, it does plainly state that we are not to use God's name in a way that regards it as trivial (Exodus 20:7). Even though blurting out "Oh, my God" or texting and e-mailing "omg" have become socially acceptable, they're still examples of using God's name wrongly. It boils down to an issue of respect. To refer to the God of the universe in this manner, even as an expression of shock or surprise, is flippant and dishonoring. It treats "the name above all other names" (Philippians 2:9) as irrelevant, as if it carries little weight or special meaning. To be fair, some may not intend to use "omg" in this way. They may believe that it is an innocent expression that, for them, means "Oh, my goodness." Given how it's most widely used and interpreted, however, it would be wise to use another abbreviation.
God's name is to be revered, not to be misused or treated as meaningless. Whenever we refer to God, may we reflect the spirit of the psalmist who wrote, "Honor the Lord for the glory of His name. Worship the Lord in the splendor of His holiness" (Psalm 29:2). , Jeff Olson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more