MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
Last August in Asuncion, Paraguay, Jose Alvarenga received the worst news a father can hear about a newborn child. The doctors came and told him his son, born prematurely (only 500g /17.6 oz), was dead. A little over 4 hours after the heartbreaking event, Jose opened the box that held his tiny son's casket so that he could say his goodbyes, and found his son alive. "I opened it to look at his remains," said Mr. Alvarenga, "and found that the baby was breathing. I began to cry." They rushed the baby back to the hospital where he was stabilized.
Each of us must deal with death on a daily basis. We face death when we bury a parent or a sibling or a friend. We face death when we receive frightening news of cancer or some other medical crisis. Beyond these obvious places, death has sunk its talons into every corner of human existence. Families ruined. Relationships torn apart. Neighborhoods and cities and countries straining under the weight of poverty and crime.
The Bible tells us that this death is due to the rebellion and sin we have committed against our Creator (Genesis 2:15-16). The apostle Paul reiterates this sad reality, declaring that the result of human sin is death, destruction, ruin, and mayhem (Romans 6:23).
Paul starkly presents our situation before God when he states that we're all "dead because of [our] disobedience and [our] many sins" (Ephesians 2:1). But God, always one to surprise us with His kindness and generosity, arrives at the moment we're most desperate, most hopeless. He rushes to our aid "even though we [are] dead because of our sins" (v.5). We're dead, lifeless. We are, by all accounts, past hope. Yet God arrives, and immediately everything changes. God gives us life, surprising, beautiful life. , Winn Collier
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more