What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
In the 1940s, Fred Craddock began serving as a missionary to India. When World War II ended, Craddock's church wired him funds for a steamer ticket to return home. Arriving in his port of departure on Christmas day, Craddock discovered a disturbing sight. A ship of German-Jewish refugees had been allowed to temporarily dock, and these exiles had been stuffed in small spaces with no human comforts. Craddock used his money to buy pastries for as many as he could. When he informed his church, they asked, "Don't you know they don't believe in Jesus?" "Yes," Craddock replied. "But I do."
When we believe in Jesus, our world becomes radically reordered. For we are infused with the Spirit of the living Jesus, and our heart and eyes and hopes are (if we will allow them to be) freshly attuned to seeing our world the way God sees it.
If we're curious to know whether or not our faith is growing . . . if we're curious to know whether or not our actions are becoming more Jesus-like, if we're curious to know if in fact we "know God," we must answer this: Do we love? "Anyone who loves . . . knows God" (1 John 4:7).
It's rare these days to come upon an unequivocal answer, a black-and-white, right-or-wrong way forward. But in 1 John 4 we have an acid test. If you truly love, you know God. If you do not truly love, you do not know God. Period.
When a friend leaves me feeling lonely, when my father walks away from my family, when I encounter another's need, in these moments, do I love? And this love isn't simply an act of mustering up some inner reservoir of goodwill. To truly love is to give away what God has generously given to us. , Winn Collier, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more