WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Adelaide Pollard, born in 1862 in the US, had faithfully served God for many years through her gifts of teaching and writing. Her longtime desire, however, was to be a missionary in Africa. Finally the details were worked out and she was ready to set sail. But then, unexpectedly, she was forced to cancel her plans. Not being able to go left Adelaide disappointed and depressed. God spoke to her heart and she penned these words, "Mold me and make me after Thy will. While I am waiting, yielded and still." Her complete poem became the well-known hymn "Have Thine Own Way, Lord."
The prophet Jeremiah had also experienced depression over his circumstances as recorded in the book of Lamentations. He had seen Jerusalem destroyed by the Babylonians and God's people placed under their harsh rule (Jeremiah 39:1-14, 52:12-14).
But, like Adelaide Pollard, instead of sinking deeper into sorrow, Jeremiah became yielded and still. He realized that his people had been sinning against God. That's something Adelaide owned up to, as she acknowledged that "man's own will is the basic sin he commits against God." Through repentance and looking to God for guidance, both songwriter and prophet were able to see this truth: God is sovereign (Lamentations 3:37). It's about His will, not our own.
Instead of complaining and becoming bitter (v.39), they wisely chose to examine their ways and "turn back to the Lord" (v.40). This is a wise formula for us to adopt when we face unexpected changes in our plans. As we seek God's ways, not our own, we'll find ourselves becoming quiet and still.
In time, the people of Judah were freed and rebuilt the city of Jerusalem. And, in time, Adelaide Pollard was permitted by God to minister for Him in Africa, yielded and still. , Tom Felten, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more