Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Prayer With Others
Pray like this . . . (v.9).
Early in His earthly ministry, Jesus sat down on the side of a mountain and delivered one His most memorable and stirring sermons (Matthew 5:3–7:27). He covered a lot of ground that day, including the topic of prayer.
Jesus taught the large crowd who had gathered, telling them not to pray in ways that drew attention to themselves (6:5). He also said they shouldn’t try to manipulate their heavenly Father into answering prayers by using lengthy, meaningless repetition (v.7). He added that it’s best to use fewer words since God knew what they needed before they even asked for it (v.8).
Jesus then went on to give His listeners a model for prayer that many have dubbed “The Lord’s Prayer” (vv.9- 13). It’s not a magic incantation, but more like a guide that underscores some of the basic elements of prayer.
Jesus modeled a worshipful and personable way to pray to “Our Father in heaven” (v.9). He demonstrated the importance of praying for the advancement of God’s kingdom, for daily needs and personal relationships, and for deliverance from the evil one (vv.10-13).
Perhaps one of the most interesting aspects of Jesus’ prayer was recently pointed out to me: He prays in the plural. He addressed God as “our Father,” and prays, “Give us today the food we need, and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us. And don’t let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one” (vv.11-13). In other words, Jesus may have also been modeling a form of prayer that’s meant to be prayed together with other believers.
Yes, He showed us the importance of praying alone (14:23). But He also showed us that sometimes it’s important to pray with others.
Read Matthew 18:19 and note how Jesus emphasized the power and importance of praying with other believers.
Will you take time to pray with someone today? Why is praying with other believers in Jesus such a vital and important thing?
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more