Top Music Videos
Prayer With Others
Pray like this . . . (v.9).
Early in His earthly ministry, Jesus sat down on the side of a mountain and delivered one His most memorable and stirring sermons (Matthew 5:3–7:27). He covered a lot of ground that day, including the topic of prayer.
Jesus taught the large crowd who had gathered, telling them not to pray in ways that drew attention to themselves (6:5). He also said they shouldn’t try to manipulate their heavenly Father into answering prayers by using lengthy, meaningless repetition (v.7). He added that it’s best to use fewer words since God knew what they needed before they even asked for it (v.8).
Jesus then went on to give His listeners a model for prayer that many have dubbed “The Lord’s Prayer” (vv.9- 13). It’s not a magic incantation, but more like a guide that underscores some of the basic elements of prayer.
Jesus modeled a worshipful and personable way to pray to “Our Father in heaven” (v.9). He demonstrated the importance of praying for the advancement of God’s kingdom, for daily needs and personal relationships, and for deliverance from the evil one (vv.10-13).
Perhaps one of the most interesting aspects of Jesus’ prayer was recently pointed out to me: He prays in the plural. He addressed God as “our Father,” and prays, “Give us today the food we need, and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us. And don’t let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one” (vv.11-13). In other words, Jesus may have also been modeling a form of prayer that’s meant to be prayed together with other believers.
Yes, He showed us the importance of praying alone (14:23). But He also showed us that sometimes it’s important to pray with others.
Read Matthew 18:19 and note how Jesus emphasized the power and importance of praying with other believers.
Will you take time to pray with someone today? Why is praying with other believers in Jesus such a vital and important thing?
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more