Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
Prayer With Others
Pray like this . . . (v.9).
Early in His earthly ministry, Jesus sat down on the side of a mountain and delivered one His most memorable and stirring sermons (Matthew 5:3–7:27). He covered a lot of ground that day, including the topic of prayer.
Jesus taught the large crowd who had gathered, telling them not to pray in ways that drew attention to themselves (6:5). He also said they shouldn’t try to manipulate their heavenly Father into answering prayers by using lengthy, meaningless repetition (v.7). He added that it’s best to use fewer words since God knew what they needed before they even asked for it (v.8).
Jesus then went on to give His listeners a model for prayer that many have dubbed “The Lord’s Prayer” (vv.9- 13). It’s not a magic incantation, but more like a guide that underscores some of the basic elements of prayer.
Jesus modeled a worshipful and personable way to pray to “Our Father in heaven” (v.9). He demonstrated the importance of praying for the advancement of God’s kingdom, for daily needs and personal relationships, and for deliverance from the evil one (vv.10-13).
Perhaps one of the most interesting aspects of Jesus’ prayer was recently pointed out to me: He prays in the plural. He addressed God as “our Father,” and prays, “Give us today the food we need, and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us. And don’t let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one” (vv.11-13). In other words, Jesus may have also been modeling a form of prayer that’s meant to be prayed together with other believers.
Yes, He showed us the importance of praying alone (14:23). But He also showed us that sometimes it’s important to pray with others.
Read Matthew 18:19 and note how Jesus emphasized the power and importance of praying with other believers.
Will you take time to pray with someone today? Why is praying with other believers in Jesus such a vital and important thing?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more