Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
In the film The Perfect Storm, a captain and crew head out for what they hope will be an uneventful fishing expedition. In their quest for a bountiful catch, they motor far past their normal fishing location. There they find great success, but as they turn for home they encounter the horrifying combination of two powerful weather fronts and a hurricane. The crew struggles as they attempt to cut through deep waters, a dark night, pounding waves, and shrieking winds. Ultimately, the fierce weather overwhelms them.
As the disciples made their way across the Sea of Galilee to Bethsaida, they too found themselves in a ferocious storm, experiencing turbulent, deep waters and a dark night. They struggled to sail through pounding waves and shrieking winds. Though they could not see Jesus, Jesus could see them (Mark 6:48). He saw their exhaustion, desperation, and even their lack of progress. Not only did He see them, He came to them in an unexpected and powerful way, walking on the water (vv.48-49). When Jesus walked on the water, He gave them a glimpse of the unlimited power of God. Though they couldn't speak, Jesus spoke to them: "Don't be afraid. . . . Take courage! I am here!" (v.50). His words and presence gave them courage.
If you're experiencing deep waters and dark nights, remember three things: (1) When you can't see Jesus, Jesus sees you. He sees your hard work, exhaustion, sorrow, fear, and your lack of progress, and He cares deeply for you. (2) When you can't come to Jesus, Jesus comes to you, in unexpected and powerful ways. His coming is not always to deliver us, but to remind us that He's still in control and will not let us be overwhelmed. (3) When we can't speak to Jesus, Jesus speaks to us. He speaks powerful words of assurance: "I am here!" , Marvin Williams, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more