God's MasterpieceWhat does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?
Top Christian Music Videos
My Three Sons
1 Kings 2:1
Take courage and be a man. Observe the requirements of the Lord
your God, and follow all His ways . . . so that you will be successful in
all you do and wherever you go (vv.2-3).
Okay, I admit the title of this devo is misleading.
I don’t have sons. I am the proud father of three
lovely girls! And by the grace of God, I strive
to be the kind of parent God wants me to be.
Now since I have raised only daughters, I’ve been
told that my parenting expertise is restricted to raising
girls. The insinuation is that I might be less “successful” if
I had sons to parent. It makes me wonder how different
it would be if I had boys instead. I wonder what manly
counsel I would give to my three sons.
David was father to many more sons than daughters
(1 Chronicles 3:1-9). Severely ill and knowing that his
death was imminent, David gave this final advice to his
son Solomon: “Take courage and be a man” (1 Kings
2:2). Typical of all fathers, David wanted his son to be
courageous and successful (v.3).
Life can be tough and traumatic, hard and full of
heartache, fear-inducing and frightening, discouraging
and disappointing and devastating. For Solomon to
be courageous and victorious over life’s trials and
tragedies, he had to remain strong in God (1 Chronicles
22:13, 28:20; 1 Corinthians 16:13; Ephesians 6:10).
To become successful, Solomon had to “observe the
requirements of the Lord . . . and follow all His ways”
(1 Kings 2:3). David’s words were intended to teach his
son how to be a godly man. For the successful person is
a godly person who knows and obeys God’s Word (Deuteronomy 5:32, 10:12;
Joshua 1:7-8; 1 Chronicles 22:11-13).
Whether I’m raising sons or daughters shouldn’t matter. For I need to give to
all my children the same timeless recipe for success: “Be strong in the Lord. Be a
godly person. Know and obey God’s Word.” That’s true success!
What final word of advice would you give to your children? Why is it
important that we model what we teach?
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more