Tender HeartsHow can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
My Three Sons
1 Kings 2:1
Take courage and be a man. Observe the requirements of the Lord
your God, and follow all His ways . . . so that you will be successful in
all you do and wherever you go (vv.2-3).
Okay, I admit the title of this devo is misleading.
I don’t have sons. I am the proud father of three
lovely girls! And by the grace of God, I strive
to be the kind of parent God wants me to be.
Now since I have raised only daughters, I’ve been
told that my parenting expertise is restricted to raising
girls. The insinuation is that I might be less “successful” if
I had sons to parent. It makes me wonder how different
it would be if I had boys instead. I wonder what manly
counsel I would give to my three sons.
David was father to many more sons than daughters
(1 Chronicles 3:1-9). Severely ill and knowing that his
death was imminent, David gave this final advice to his
son Solomon: “Take courage and be a man” (1 Kings
2:2). Typical of all fathers, David wanted his son to be
courageous and successful (v.3).
Life can be tough and traumatic, hard and full of
heartache, fear-inducing and frightening, discouraging
and disappointing and devastating. For Solomon to
be courageous and victorious over life’s trials and
tragedies, he had to remain strong in God (1 Chronicles
22:13, 28:20; 1 Corinthians 16:13; Ephesians 6:10).
To become successful, Solomon had to “observe the
requirements of the Lord . . . and follow all His ways”
(1 Kings 2:3). David’s words were intended to teach his
son how to be a godly man. For the successful person is
a godly person who knows and obeys God’s Word (Deuteronomy 5:32, 10:12;
Joshua 1:7-8; 1 Chronicles 22:11-13).
Whether I’m raising sons or daughters shouldn’t matter. For I need to give to
all my children the same timeless recipe for success: “Be strong in the Lord. Be a
godly person. Know and obey God’s Word.” That’s true success!
What final word of advice would you give to your children? Why is it
important that we model what we teach?
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more