Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
My Three Sons
1 Kings 2:1
Take courage and be a man. Observe the requirements of the Lord
your God, and follow all His ways . . . so that you will be successful in
all you do and wherever you go (vv.2-3).
Okay, I admit the title of this devo is misleading.
I don’t have sons. I am the proud father of three
lovely girls! And by the grace of God, I strive
to be the kind of parent God wants me to be.
Now since I have raised only daughters, I’ve been
told that my parenting expertise is restricted to raising
girls. The insinuation is that I might be less “successful” if
I had sons to parent. It makes me wonder how different
it would be if I had boys instead. I wonder what manly
counsel I would give to my three sons.
David was father to many more sons than daughters
(1 Chronicles 3:1-9). Severely ill and knowing that his
death was imminent, David gave this final advice to his
son Solomon: “Take courage and be a man” (1 Kings
2:2). Typical of all fathers, David wanted his son to be
courageous and successful (v.3).
Life can be tough and traumatic, hard and full of
heartache, fear-inducing and frightening, discouraging
and disappointing and devastating. For Solomon to
be courageous and victorious over life’s trials and
tragedies, he had to remain strong in God (1 Chronicles
22:13, 28:20; 1 Corinthians 16:13; Ephesians 6:10).
To become successful, Solomon had to “observe the
requirements of the Lord . . . and follow all His ways”
(1 Kings 2:3). David’s words were intended to teach his
son how to be a godly man. For the successful person is
a godly person who knows and obeys God’s Word (Deuteronomy 5:32, 10:12;
Joshua 1:7-8; 1 Chronicles 22:11-13).
Whether I’m raising sons or daughters shouldn’t matter. For I need to give to
all my children the same timeless recipe for success: “Be strong in the Lord. Be a
godly person. Know and obey God’s Word.” That’s true success!
What final word of advice would you give to your children? Why is it
important that we model what we teach?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more