He Will Handle ItWhat burden will you give to Him today?
Top Christian Music Videos
My Three Sons
1 Kings 2:1
Take courage and be a man. Observe the requirements of the Lord
your God, and follow all His ways . . . so that you will be successful in
all you do and wherever you go (vv.2-3).
Okay, I admit the title of this devo is misleading.
I don’t have sons. I am the proud father of three
lovely girls! And by the grace of God, I strive
to be the kind of parent God wants me to be.
Now since I have raised only daughters, I’ve been
told that my parenting expertise is restricted to raising
girls. The insinuation is that I might be less “successful” if
I had sons to parent. It makes me wonder how different
it would be if I had boys instead. I wonder what manly
counsel I would give to my three sons.
David was father to many more sons than daughters
(1 Chronicles 3:1-9). Severely ill and knowing that his
death was imminent, David gave this final advice to his
son Solomon: “Take courage and be a man” (1 Kings
2:2). Typical of all fathers, David wanted his son to be
courageous and successful (v.3).
Life can be tough and traumatic, hard and full of
heartache, fear-inducing and frightening, discouraging
and disappointing and devastating. For Solomon to
be courageous and victorious over life’s trials and
tragedies, he had to remain strong in God (1 Chronicles
22:13, 28:20; 1 Corinthians 16:13; Ephesians 6:10).
To become successful, Solomon had to “observe the
requirements of the Lord . . . and follow all His ways”
(1 Kings 2:3). David’s words were intended to teach his
son how to be a godly man. For the successful person is
a godly person who knows and obeys God’s Word (Deuteronomy 5:32, 10:12;
Joshua 1:7-8; 1 Chronicles 22:11-13).
Whether I’m raising sons or daughters shouldn’t matter. For I need to give to
all my children the same timeless recipe for success: “Be strong in the Lord. Be a
godly person. Know and obey God’s Word.” That’s true success!
What final word of advice would you give to your children? Why is it
important that we model what we teach?
- He Will Handle It - What burden will you give to Him today?...read more
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more