Begging the Question?Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?
Top Music Videos
“But Wait, There’s More!”
May God give you more and more grace and peace as you grow in your knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord (2 Peter 2:2).
Ever watched an infomercial—a 30-minute commercial disguised as a TV program? I have! In fact, I know all about the Veg-O-Matic and the Pocket Fisherman. And who could forget the Ginsu Steak Knives? I’ve yet to be coaxed into calling and placing an order for items like these, but on occasion I’ve found watching infomercials to be the right “entertainment” when sleep was hard to find at 2 a.m.
The pitch lines for infomercials make me laugh. “Call right now and we’ll double your order” is a classic. To sweeten the deal, one advertiser even offers to throw in a set of knives that will cut through brick (or so they claim).
Perhaps the most used pitch is “But wait, there’s more!” This sort of high-pressure sales line reminds me of the angle Satan took with Eve back in the garden of Eden. First, he emphatically declared that Eve would not die if she ate fruit from the forbidden tree (Genesis 3:4). But he didn’t stop there. On top of eluding death, Satan went on to claim that consuming fruit from the forbidden tree would cause her to “be like God” (v.5).
Satan’s offer sounded sweet and convincing to Eve. But instead of being the real deal, the whole thing was completely bogus. The truth? Eve was already like God. He created her and her husband Adam “in His own image” (1:27). There wasn’t more—at least not in the way Satan implied. In fact, things couldn’t have been any better. But Satan still craftily offered more—lies that actually led to less.
Heavenly Father, give us eyes to see through Satan’s false offers of life thatwill take us away from the true life that is found only in Your Son Jesus.
Notice that the idea of more is a biblical theme (Matthew 7:11).
When have you been tempted to go after more, only to find that it was actually less? What did that experience teach you about following God?
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more