Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
“But Wait, There’s More!”
May God give you more and more grace and peace as you grow in your knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord (2 Peter 2:2).
Ever watched an infomercial—a 30-minute commercial disguised as a TV program? I have! In fact, I know all about the Veg-O-Matic and the Pocket Fisherman. And who could forget the Ginsu Steak Knives? I’ve yet to be coaxed into calling and placing an order for items like these, but on occasion I’ve found watching infomercials to be the right “entertainment” when sleep was hard to find at 2 a.m.
The pitch lines for infomercials make me laugh. “Call right now and we’ll double your order” is a classic. To sweeten the deal, one advertiser even offers to throw in a set of knives that will cut through brick (or so they claim).
Perhaps the most used pitch is “But wait, there’s more!” This sort of high-pressure sales line reminds me of the angle Satan took with Eve back in the garden of Eden. First, he emphatically declared that Eve would not die if she ate fruit from the forbidden tree (Genesis 3:4). But he didn’t stop there. On top of eluding death, Satan went on to claim that consuming fruit from the forbidden tree would cause her to “be like God” (v.5).
Satan’s offer sounded sweet and convincing to Eve. But instead of being the real deal, the whole thing was completely bogus. The truth? Eve was already like God. He created her and her husband Adam “in His own image” (1:27). There wasn’t more—at least not in the way Satan implied. In fact, things couldn’t have been any better. But Satan still craftily offered more—lies that actually led to less.
Heavenly Father, give us eyes to see through Satan’s false offers of life thatwill take us away from the true life that is found only in Your Son Jesus.
Notice that the idea of more is a biblical theme (Matthew 7:11).
When have you been tempted to go after more, only to find that it was actually less? What did that experience teach you about following God?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more