UnbreakableHow can you use your suffering to point others to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
A wise person thinks a lot about death (v.4).
You guys, line up alphabetically by height.” Huh?
“We’re going to turn this team around 360
These are two of many other bizarre quotes I came
across recently. Solomon said some pretty odd and
outlandish things too. For instance, he wrote: “The day
you die is better than the day you are born” (Ecclesiastes
7:1). “Better to spend your time at funerals than at
parties” (v.2). “Sorrow is better than laughter” (v.3).
“A wise person thinks a lot about death” (v.4). Whoa!
Was Solomon some kind of somber-negativistic-suicidalpessimist-
As a Chinese man, it was ingrained in me that it’s
totally inauspicious to talk or even think about death
when you’re still living. But “everyone dies.” Death is not
an if but a when. “So the living should take this to heart”
(v.2). Solomon advised us to look death in the face, and
then live with our end in mind.
Every time I visit a funeral home to comfort the
grieving, I’m reminded once again of how short human
life is. It doesn’t matter if the deceased was a 20- or
an 80-year-old person. A life expired. And Solomon
encourages reflection on life’s brevity instead of pursuing
festivity or levity, “for sadness has a refining influence
on us” (v.3). This is why it’s “better to spend your time at
funerals than at parties” (v.2).
It’s in the face of death that we make serious and true evaluation of the way
our lives have been lived and how differently we want to spend our hours
today. Yes, “a wise person . . . thinks a lot about death” (v.4). It’s the wise who
learn from the brevity of life—in the light of the reality and inevitability of death.
We lift our eyes from the physical to the spiritual and from the temporal to the
What did Jesus say about dying and living in John 12:24?
Where do your thoughts go when you think or talk about dying and
death? How has thinking or talking about death defined or refined life
- Unbreakable - How can you use your suffering to point others to God?...read more
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more