The Gift of LoveHow should you respond to such a great love?
Top Christian Music Videos
A wise person thinks a lot about death (v.4).
You guys, line up alphabetically by height.” Huh?
“We’re going to turn this team around 360
These are two of many other bizarre quotes I came
across recently. Solomon said some pretty odd and
outlandish things too. For instance, he wrote: “The day
you die is better than the day you are born” (Ecclesiastes
7:1). “Better to spend your time at funerals than at
parties” (v.2). “Sorrow is better than laughter” (v.3).
“A wise person thinks a lot about death” (v.4). Whoa!
Was Solomon some kind of somber-negativistic-suicidalpessimist-
As a Chinese man, it was ingrained in me that it’s
totally inauspicious to talk or even think about death
when you’re still living. But “everyone dies.” Death is not
an if but a when. “So the living should take this to heart”
(v.2). Solomon advised us to look death in the face, and
then live with our end in mind.
Every time I visit a funeral home to comfort the
grieving, I’m reminded once again of how short human
life is. It doesn’t matter if the deceased was a 20- or
an 80-year-old person. A life expired. And Solomon
encourages reflection on life’s brevity instead of pursuing
festivity or levity, “for sadness has a refining influence
on us” (v.3). This is why it’s “better to spend your time at
funerals than at parties” (v.2).
It’s in the face of death that we make serious and true evaluation of the way
our lives have been lived and how differently we want to spend our hours
today. Yes, “a wise person . . . thinks a lot about death” (v.4). It’s the wise who
learn from the brevity of life—in the light of the reality and inevitability of death.
We lift our eyes from the physical to the spiritual and from the temporal to the
What did Jesus say about dying and living in John 12:24?
Where do your thoughts go when you think or talk about dying and
death? How has thinking or talking about death defined or refined life
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more