VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
A wise person thinks a lot about death (v.4).
You guys, line up alphabetically by height.” Huh?
“We’re going to turn this team around 360
These are two of many other bizarre quotes I came
across recently. Solomon said some pretty odd and
outlandish things too. For instance, he wrote: “The day
you die is better than the day you are born” (Ecclesiastes
7:1). “Better to spend your time at funerals than at
parties” (v.2). “Sorrow is better than laughter” (v.3).
“A wise person thinks a lot about death” (v.4). Whoa!
Was Solomon some kind of somber-negativistic-suicidalpessimist-
As a Chinese man, it was ingrained in me that it’s
totally inauspicious to talk or even think about death
when you’re still living. But “everyone dies.” Death is not
an if but a when. “So the living should take this to heart”
(v.2). Solomon advised us to look death in the face, and
then live with our end in mind.
Every time I visit a funeral home to comfort the
grieving, I’m reminded once again of how short human
life is. It doesn’t matter if the deceased was a 20- or
an 80-year-old person. A life expired. And Solomon
encourages reflection on life’s brevity instead of pursuing
festivity or levity, “for sadness has a refining influence
on us” (v.3). This is why it’s “better to spend your time at
funerals than at parties” (v.2).
It’s in the face of death that we make serious and true evaluation of the way
our lives have been lived and how differently we want to spend our hours
today. Yes, “a wise person . . . thinks a lot about death” (v.4). It’s the wise who
learn from the brevity of life—in the light of the reality and inevitability of death.
We lift our eyes from the physical to the spiritual and from the temporal to the
What did Jesus say about dying and living in John 12:24?
Where do your thoughts go when you think or talk about dying and
death? How has thinking or talking about death defined or refined life
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more