The Kingdom We Long ForWhat makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?
Top Music Videos
A wise person thinks a lot about death (v.4).
You guys, line up alphabetically by height.” Huh?
“We’re going to turn this team around 360
These are two of many other bizarre quotes I came
across recently. Solomon said some pretty odd and
outlandish things too. For instance, he wrote: “The day
you die is better than the day you are born” (Ecclesiastes
7:1). “Better to spend your time at funerals than at
parties” (v.2). “Sorrow is better than laughter” (v.3).
“A wise person thinks a lot about death” (v.4). Whoa!
Was Solomon some kind of somber-negativistic-suicidalpessimist-
As a Chinese man, it was ingrained in me that it’s
totally inauspicious to talk or even think about death
when you’re still living. But “everyone dies.” Death is not
an if but a when. “So the living should take this to heart”
(v.2). Solomon advised us to look death in the face, and
then live with our end in mind.
Every time I visit a funeral home to comfort the
grieving, I’m reminded once again of how short human
life is. It doesn’t matter if the deceased was a 20- or
an 80-year-old person. A life expired. And Solomon
encourages reflection on life’s brevity instead of pursuing
festivity or levity, “for sadness has a refining influence
on us” (v.3). This is why it’s “better to spend your time at
funerals than at parties” (v.2).
It’s in the face of death that we make serious and true evaluation of the way
our lives have been lived and how differently we want to spend our hours
today. Yes, “a wise person . . . thinks a lot about death” (v.4). It’s the wise who
learn from the brevity of life—in the light of the reality and inevitability of death.
We lift our eyes from the physical to the spiritual and from the temporal to the
What did Jesus say about dying and living in John 12:24?
Where do your thoughts go when you think or talk about dying and
death? How has thinking or talking about death defined or refined life
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more