Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
A wise person thinks a lot about death (v.4).
You guys, line up alphabetically by height.” Huh?
“We’re going to turn this team around 360
These are two of many other bizarre quotes I came
across recently. Solomon said some pretty odd and
outlandish things too. For instance, he wrote: “The day
you die is better than the day you are born” (Ecclesiastes
7:1). “Better to spend your time at funerals than at
parties” (v.2). “Sorrow is better than laughter” (v.3).
“A wise person thinks a lot about death” (v.4). Whoa!
Was Solomon some kind of somber-negativistic-suicidalpessimist-
As a Chinese man, it was ingrained in me that it’s
totally inauspicious to talk or even think about death
when you’re still living. But “everyone dies.” Death is not
an if but a when. “So the living should take this to heart”
(v.2). Solomon advised us to look death in the face, and
then live with our end in mind.
Every time I visit a funeral home to comfort the
grieving, I’m reminded once again of how short human
life is. It doesn’t matter if the deceased was a 20- or
an 80-year-old person. A life expired. And Solomon
encourages reflection on life’s brevity instead of pursuing
festivity or levity, “for sadness has a refining influence
on us” (v.3). This is why it’s “better to spend your time at
funerals than at parties” (v.2).
It’s in the face of death that we make serious and true evaluation of the way
our lives have been lived and how differently we want to spend our hours
today. Yes, “a wise person . . . thinks a lot about death” (v.4). It’s the wise who
learn from the brevity of life—in the light of the reality and inevitability of death.
We lift our eyes from the physical to the spiritual and from the temporal to the
What did Jesus say about dying and living in John 12:24?
Where do your thoughts go when you think or talk about dying and
death? How has thinking or talking about death defined or refined life
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more