Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
This news item appeared in the Lausanne World Pulse: "While officiating at a wedding on June 3, 2006, Pastor Hasim received a text message on his cell phone: â€˜Pastor, you will die today.' The 47-year old Filipino pastor had been receiving death threats for months. After the wedding, he and his daughter Mercilyn headed home by motorcycle. Their bodies were later found in an isolated area. Pastor Hasim had been shot 19 times, mostly in the back. Mercilyn was shot 5 times."
This is just one recent story from the persecuted church. There are many more. In fact, more than 200 million of them. That's the number of Christians across the world who are facing persecution because of their faith in Jesus Christ. As believers in Jesus, we're called to be salt to a decaying and decadent world, and light to a darkened and dangerous one (Matthew 5:13-14). Christ warned us that we would suffer persecution. He said, "A slave is not greater than the master. Since they persecuted Me, naturally they will persecute you" (John 15:20). Millions will suffer for the name of Jesus (Philippians 1:29; 1 Peter 2:21, 4:12-16). And indeed, thousands have already been martyred (Hebrews 11:36-37). Many ODJ readers likely reside in countries where persecution isn't much of a problem. That's something to thank God for! Yet, in more than 50 countries around the globe, Christians are being severely persecuted.
One way we can support them is through prayer. Today is the International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church, a global event that brings together thousands of churches for a 24-hour time of intercession. It's an opportunity to lift up our persecuted brothers and sisters in our personal prayers, as well as in various church meetings. Let's stand with those who are suffering for the cause of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:26). , K.T. Sim, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more