Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
The Far Side
The angel of the Lord appeared to [Moses] in a blazing
fire from the middle of a bush (v.2).
One of the perks of global travel is moving out
of your comfort zone—running into things and
people you’d never expect to encounter. I took a
trip down the Venezuelan Amazon once, discovering that
piranhas are real and that monkey stew isn’t a legend.
Moses was living in Midian, so he was a long way
from home in Egypt. A Hebrew, he had killed an
Egyptian he saw beating a Hebrew slave. Scared for his
life, Moses ran. And ran. And ran. Now, 40 years later,
Moses was a different man living in a place that was still
not his home. In Exodus 3, we read that Moses had led
his flock to “the far side of the desert” (v.1 NIV). This was
a fitting metaphor for Moses. His life was a long way
from what he had imagined. For 40 years, he had been
on the run. Moses had forgotten who he was.
But God hadn’t forgotten. Moses noticed the odd sight
of a thornbush aflame but not consumed by the fire.
“This is amazing!” Moses said, “I must go see it” (v.3).
What else would you do if you were alone in the desert
and happened upon such a sight? As Moses stepped
toward the fiery bush, God spoke from the flames with a
warning. “Do not come any closer . . . you are standing
on holy ground” (v.5).
Moses wasn’t looking for God and didn’t expect to
find Him. In fact, further reading reveals that when God
spoke, Moses didn’t like what He had to say. Moses had
gone missing . . . for 40 years.
No distance or no stretch of time is too far for God, however. When God
intends to find you, He will find you. The question for us is: What will we do
once we’ve been found?
Consider the book where we read this story: Exodus. How does the
Exodus narrative (Israel far from home, trapped in Egypt) parallel Moses’
In what ways are you on the far side of the desert right now? What
would your reaction be if God spoke to you in this place?
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more