FulfilledWhy is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?
Top Music Videos
The Far Side
The angel of the Lord appeared to [Moses] in a blazing
fire from the middle of a bush (v.2).
One of the perks of global travel is moving out
of your comfort zone—running into things and
people you’d never expect to encounter. I took a
trip down the Venezuelan Amazon once, discovering that
piranhas are real and that monkey stew isn’t a legend.
Moses was living in Midian, so he was a long way
from home in Egypt. A Hebrew, he had killed an
Egyptian he saw beating a Hebrew slave. Scared for his
life, Moses ran. And ran. And ran. Now, 40 years later,
Moses was a different man living in a place that was still
not his home. In Exodus 3, we read that Moses had led
his flock to “the far side of the desert” (v.1 NIV). This was
a fitting metaphor for Moses. His life was a long way
from what he had imagined. For 40 years, he had been
on the run. Moses had forgotten who he was.
But God hadn’t forgotten. Moses noticed the odd sight
of a thornbush aflame but not consumed by the fire.
“This is amazing!” Moses said, “I must go see it” (v.3).
What else would you do if you were alone in the desert
and happened upon such a sight? As Moses stepped
toward the fiery bush, God spoke from the flames with a
warning. “Do not come any closer . . . you are standing
on holy ground” (v.5).
Moses wasn’t looking for God and didn’t expect to
find Him. In fact, further reading reveals that when God
spoke, Moses didn’t like what He had to say. Moses had
gone missing . . . for 40 years.
No distance or no stretch of time is too far for God, however. When God
intends to find you, He will find you. The question for us is: What will we do
once we’ve been found?
Consider the book where we read this story: Exodus. How does the
Exodus narrative (Israel far from home, trapped in Egypt) parallel Moses’
In what ways are you on the far side of the desert right now? What
would your reaction be if God spoke to you in this place?
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more