Living Houses of PrayerWhat does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?
Top Christian Music Videos
For the Lord will go ahead of you; yes, the God of Israel will
protect you from behind (Isaiah 52:12).
Spending much of my childhood in the cool north of
the US, I always thought of palm trees as something
exotic. So when we traveled down to South Carolina
to visit family every few years, I felt as if I was somewhere
near Hawaii, even though I knew deep waters and many
miles separated the two states. Now that I live in Georgia
(and near the border of South Carolina), however, the
image of a palm tree has lost some of its romance.
More than a geographical marker, the palm tree of
Deborah was a symbol of hope (Judges 4:5). Having
fallen into sin yet again, the people were being harassed
by Jabin, a nearby Canaanite king. In His faithfulness
and compassion, God responded to the Israelites’ cries
by raising up Deborah, a prophetess who became an
advocate for the people. More than a historical account,
Deborah’s story reveals some important characteristics
for successful leadership:
Trustworthiness. The people’s willingness to come to her
for justice speaks of her character. Not only had God
entrusted Deborah with the well-being of His nation, but
the people saw something in her that made them willing
Faith. Deborah knew that the glory that came from
success in battle wasn’t hers to claim. As a leader, she
knew that her people needed to be relying on God.
Just as they didn’t need iron chariots to match the
strength of Jabin (Deuteronomy 20:1; Psalm 20:7, 68:17), she wasn’t the key
element to Barak’s ability to be victorious (Judges 4:8-9).
Focus. Unwavering in her task, Deborah remained focused on the call God had
placed on her life. Neither the opinions of man nor the circumstances in front of her
changed her stance.
How do the leaders in our lives model these qualifications? How do we reveal
them to the people we lead?
Read Matthew 5:14 to see why being a leader is inherent in
being a follower of Jesus.
Do others find you trustworthy? Why or why not? Scripture speaks
of the value of wisdom found in many advisors (Proverbs 11:14).
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more