Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
The world's oldest person, a 115-year-old American woman named Gertrude Baines, died in September 2009. According to the Gerontology Research Group (GRG), the leading authority on "supercentenarians," the world's oldest living person now is Kama Chinen, a 114-year-old Japanese woman. The oldest verified person in history was Jeanne Calment who died in 1997 at the age of 122 years and 164 days old. A GRG spokesperson said, "Anything over 120 is extremely unusual."
Long ago, God said, "In the future, [people's] normal lifespan will be no more than 120 years" (Genesis 6:3). The fact that it's rare for humans to live beyond 120 years today is a reminder of God's judgment on an increasingly corrupt and evil world (vv.5,11).
Some scholars say that the number 120 signifies the gradually implemented new age limit for humans. After the flood, the recorded ages declined steadily, but considerably, from the 900s (5:4-20) to the 120s. Abraham, 10 generations from Noah (11:10-26), lived to be 175 (25:7); Isaac, 180 (35:28); Jacob, 147 (47:28). Joseph lived 110 years (50:26) and Moses died at 120 (Deut. 34:7).
Other scholars say that the 120 years represents a period of grace that existed prior to God unleashing His wrath on His sinning creation. Of this 120 years of grace, Peter says that "God waited patiently while Noah was building His boat. . . . He is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent" (1 Peter 3:20; 2 Peter 3:9). Yet, our 120-year mortality cap is a grim warning that it's possible for people to reach the point of no return and then to face God's judgment. Instead of presuming on His grace, let's repent of our sinfulness today. , K.T. Sim
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more