What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
In July 2001, a few friends and I embarked on a long-anticipated rim-to-rim Grand Canyon hike. But our great adventure ended after only one day. We made it to the canyon floor, but due to the stifling heat (127Â°F) and dehydration we couldn't finish. After sleeping a few hours, we began our trek back up the narrow ledge trail at 2:00 a.m. The experience of hiking in pitch-black darkness was harrowing. With just one headlamp, we could see only a few feet in front of us. We made it out by following the one who was leading, taking small steps as our meager light allowed.
Our experience reminds me of how Jesus repeatedly invited people to join Him in His life and work. When Jesus encountered Philip in Galilee, He simply said, "Follow Me" (v.43). And to Simon Peter and Andrew: "Follow Me" (Matthew 4:19). And to the rich young man: "Follow Me" (Matthew 19:21). To the tax collector, to the beggars along the road, to rulers, to servants, to the rich and the poor, one word stands out: "Follow."
It's the same for us. While obedience to, and friendship with, God takes many forms, the central theme is this: Follow. Simply follow. Our prime responsibility in our spiritual journey is not to craft grand plans or muster up sincere commitment or to work hard to discern all God might be up to. Our crucial responsibility is to pay attention to whatever light (large or small) God provides, and to simply take the next step.
When we follow, we're dependent on the one we are following. We don't fret about the long stretch ahead. We don't harbor regrets over what took place during the miles behind us. We don't focus on things that don't really matter. We simply follow. Follow Jesus today. , Winn Collier, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more