Sacrificial LoveWhat does it mean for you to carry your cross?
Top Christian Music Videos
Other seed fell among thorns that grew up with it and choked out the
tender plants (v.7).
A few years ago, I wrote about three street kids—
Saddam, Moses, and Charles. At the time, I had
helped lead them to a Christian home for children
who had no other place to live. I thought the boys would
be elated to leave their life of extreme suffering behind.
But after only one month in his new environment, Saddam
called to tell me that Charles, age 11, had run away.
To help me understand why Charles preferred the
streets, Saddam explained that 2 years earlier the
orphaned boy had been coerced into a child prostitution
ring where he could make 500 Ugandan shillings (about
25 cents US) each time he let someone sexually abuse
him. Refusing to give up on Charles, I solicited help from
the local police and from an organization that helps
rescue children from commercial sexual exploitation.
Sadly, our efforts were in vain as Charles chose to
continue down his familiar, treacherous path.
A mere child, Charles epitomizes 1 Timothy 6:10, which
says, “For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.
And some people, craving money, have wandered from
the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.”
Though it was evil men who lured the vulnerable Charles
into the trade, it was Charles who let the equivalent of 25
cents tempt him to wander from faith and safety. He chose
to return to a place that will ultimately bring him sorrow
Getting a child out of a life-threatening situation is sometimes the simplest
part. It’s helping him to heal and press on in his new life that is often the biggest
Today, pray for children around the world who are struggling to overcome
a difficult past. May they be like seeds that fall on fertile soil—growing in God
Take a moment and pray Ephesians 3:17 for children coming from
abusive backgrounds: “Then Christ will make His home in your hearts
as you trust in Him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more