God's MasterpieceWhat does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?
Top Christian Music Videos
Other seed fell among thorns that grew up with it and choked out the
tender plants (v.7).
A few years ago, I wrote about three street kids—
Saddam, Moses, and Charles. At the time, I had
helped lead them to a Christian home for children
who had no other place to live. I thought the boys would
be elated to leave their life of extreme suffering behind.
But after only one month in his new environment, Saddam
called to tell me that Charles, age 11, had run away.
To help me understand why Charles preferred the
streets, Saddam explained that 2 years earlier the
orphaned boy had been coerced into a child prostitution
ring where he could make 500 Ugandan shillings (about
25 cents US) each time he let someone sexually abuse
him. Refusing to give up on Charles, I solicited help from
the local police and from an organization that helps
rescue children from commercial sexual exploitation.
Sadly, our efforts were in vain as Charles chose to
continue down his familiar, treacherous path.
A mere child, Charles epitomizes 1 Timothy 6:10, which
says, “For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.
And some people, craving money, have wandered from
the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.”
Though it was evil men who lured the vulnerable Charles
into the trade, it was Charles who let the equivalent of 25
cents tempt him to wander from faith and safety. He chose
to return to a place that will ultimately bring him sorrow
Getting a child out of a life-threatening situation is sometimes the simplest
part. It’s helping him to heal and press on in his new life that is often the biggest
Today, pray for children around the world who are struggling to overcome
a difficult past. May they be like seeds that fall on fertile soil—growing in God
Take a moment and pray Ephesians 3:17 for children coming from
abusive backgrounds: “Then Christ will make His home in your hearts
as you trust in Him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more