LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
Let's consider a couple of hit songs from country singer Carrie Underwood. In "Jesus, Take the Wheel," she sings about a young mother whose car is sliding on an icy road, and just as she is about to crash she cries out for Jesus to save her. "Jesus, take the wheel," she sings, "take it from my hands 'cause I can't do this on my own."
In "Before He Cheats," Underwood sings the lyrics of a scorned woman and what she did to her unfaithful boyfriend. While he was off romancing another woman, she was demolishing his car, slashing its tires and leather seats, scratching the paint on its doors, and smashing its headlights with a baseball bat. "Maybe next time," she sings, "he'll think before he cheats."
Both songs resonate with people. Who hasn't cried out to God in desperation, and who hasn't plotted revenge on those who have hurt us? And yet it seems that we want to have it both ways. Why do we sing "Jesus, take the wheel" but not "Jesus, take the bat"?
We are too much like Jonah. He begged God to take the wheel of his life when he was swallowed by a huge fish (2:1), but he also wanted to hold on to the bat and take a few swings at his enemies in Nineveh.
When they repented and God relented, Jonah angrily complained to God, "Didn't I say before I left home that You would do this, Lord? . . . You are eager to turn back from destroying people. Just kill me now, Lord!" (Jonah 4:2-3).
Likewise, we want God's help, but on our terms. We want God to forgive and rescue us, but we reserve the right to "smash the headlights" of those who have sinned against us.
God won't be played. If you have given Him the wheel of your life, hand over the bat. , Mike Wittmer, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more