Top Christian Music Videos
They kept demanding
an answer, so He stood
up again and said, “All
right, but let the one who
has never sinned throw
the first stone!” (v.7).
Last November, the news about Tiger Wood’s numerous extramarital affairs began to leak out.
It became evident that the golfer with the squeaky clean image wasn’t so perfect after all.
Since then, there has been a growing debate over whether or not the media is being too hard on Tiger.
Some say he deserves a public shellacking. Others point out that other famous people have been serial
womanizers. They question why the media seems to look the other way when it comes to some other celebrities’ sexual indiscretions, while Tiger gets trashed. John records the account of the morning when a group of Jewish religious leaders tried to draw Jesus into a moral debate (8:1-11). While Jesus was teaching in the temple, they brought in a woman who had committed adultery—publicly accusing her before the people (v.3).
After reminding Jesus that the Law of Moses called for her to be stoned, they asked Him what He thought
they should do with her (vv.4-5). John tells us that the religious leaders were looking for Jesus to say something
that would discredit Himself (v.6). If He didn’t condemn her, He would be disagreeing with Moses. If He was too
harsh, He might take a hit in the eyes of the masses that were attracted to His teaching.
Jesus brilliantly avoided the trap they had set by pointing out the sinfulness of the woman’s accusers. He
said, “Let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!” (v.7).
Instead of discussing the moral failures of those who make headline news, let’s remember that we all have weaknesses—places where sin can more
easily infiltrate and ruin our lives. By humbly acknowledging our weaknesses to God and others, we can better avoid sins that will destroy us and our
witness for Jesus. —Jeff Olson
Who can say, “I have
cleansed my heart; I am
pure and free from sin”?
When was the last time you confided in a
Christian friend about one of your own
personal weaknesses? What happens when
we go into isolation with our sin?
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more