Gateway of HopeHow has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?
Top Music Videos
In the future your children will ask you, “What is the meaning of these laws, decrees, and regulations that the Lord our God has commanded us to obey?” (v.20).
Standing quietly in the back, I am moved by the sight. Arms reach upward, voices carry throughout the room, and a tireless energy reverberates to the sound of the drum. Passionate and full of promise, they are far more than a group of teenagers. They are sons and daughters of God—the generation now, not next.
While I have heard others say they could never do what my husband and I do in serving as youth pastors, I see our role as a great privilege. Many times over, I have been deeply grateful for those on our team who have joined us in this high calling to high-schoolers.
Calling His people out of captivity, God was specific in telling them that freedom would require sacrifice—His by grace and theirs by holiness. Laying down their chains, however, was a small price to pay for the abundance they would discover in His promised land. In His admonition to them regarding the boundaries within which they would find His blessing, He gave clear instructions: Raise up the next generation, lest the land be lost.
Looking at this passage, we see that the heart of teaching comes in living life together—talking of His truths along the way (Deuteronomy 11:18). Taking on a volunteer position in the church is important and helpful, but the real investment comes in relationship.
In the body of Christ, ministry to younger generations is not the responsibility of a select group with a particular gifting. When we all fail to impart to them the truth of God’s Word, we risk missing His heart and diminishing our inheritance. If we’re believers in the One who made time for children (Luke 18:16), then the church shouldn’t struggle to find mature believers willing to do the same today. The call—and the responsibility—is for all.
How are you involved in the children’s or youth ministry of your local church? Considering your strengths, what are some practical ways you can invest in the younger generation?
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more
- Driving for Peace - Who have you been engaged in conflict with recently?...read more
- Confidence in the Shepherd's Voice - Believers in Jesus are called to take every thought captive....read more